The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a way to prevent taking double doses of basal insulin:

I made a tally sheet, it is a small strip of paper with AM, PM, and day printed on it. The Pen user punches the appropriate slot with the needle after taking the dose. This way there is no question later as to whether the dose was taken.

Click on this link to view and print the Insulin Pen Tally Sheet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remembering whether you took your shot or not

This is a great idea. But still has some potential to fail... And not quite sure how good it is to be pushing the needle through paper?

Have a look at Timesulin dot com. It's a smart cap that works with all major insulin pen brands and it tells users how long it's been since they took their last insulin pen.

You can also sign up via the website to receive an email as soon as we're ready to launch in your country!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just read my post again and had to add some personal details, just in case I get marked as a 'spammer'.

My name is John Sjolund, Type 1 since age 3. CEO of Timesulin - a small startup founded out of my own frustrations of often forgetting whether or not I've administered my insulin shot. (I take four injections a day - it's rather easy to get today confused with yesterday...)

I needed to be able to focus on living, rather than on the anxiety of wondering whether I'm heading for a hyper because I didn't inject, or plummeting because I took an accidental double dose.

Hence Timesulin was born. We've been featured in the Financial Times, DiabetesMine and more. (But since I'm a junior member I can't post any links - Google should be able to point you in the right direction!)

Happy to join the rest of you on the forum.

/John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tally sheet reply

This is a great idea. But still has some potential to fail... And not quite sure how good it is to be pushing the needle through paper?

Have a look at Timesulin dot com. It's a smart cap that works with all major insulin pen brands and it tells users how long it's been since they took their last insulin pen.

You can also sign up via the website to receive an email as soon as we're ready to launch in your country!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, I looked at the Timesulin website, and the timer cap looks great.

Thanks for the reply post regarding the Insulin Pen Tally Sheet which I devised. Yes, it can fail, but much less than my own memory. Failure would happen if one does not punch the sheet after each and every use without fail. If a user takes insulin but does not punch, then later looks at the card, he will think that he has not taken the dose, when he has.

That's the reason for using the needle itself, instead of scrambling for a pencil...it's always available. A pencil can be used of course. The needle is so thin that it is best to jiggle it when punching to make a larger more visible hole.

Here is a problem for you to solve. I almost gave myself 30 units of fast acting, bolus Novolog, thinking that it was my 12-24 hour basal, Levemir. Because of the rapid infusion of the Novolog, it is effectively 6+ times more potent than basal Levemir. It would have been if I took 180 units of Levemir!!! I do not know if I could eat sugar fast enough to prevent a coma.

The two pens were lying next to each other in a cabinet, and I just grabbed one thinking it was my basal....kind of going thru the motions. They are different colors, but when one is not fully focused, this may not be enough.

Best wishes on your enterprise. I do however claim to be the low cost leader in insulin tally products.

Mark Ingraham

·
Registered
4 Posts
Low Cost Leader Title Goes To....

Mark, you can carry that cap with glee!

Your bolus OD sounds scary. I keep mine on different shelves in the fridge for this reason.

Let me look into it - we have some more exciting products coming in the next year or so.

Stay in touch!
/John

·
Registered
370 Posts
I started Lantus once daily at bedtime. What works for me is after I inject myself, I discard the needle from the Solostar Pen into my Sharps container BUT leave the outer cap sitting on the night stand.

In the AM, this confirms that I did give my injection the night before so I can throw away that outer cap and begin anew in the PM.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mellitus - A friend gave me a tip for alerting myself to the different pens. I put a small rubber band around the barrel of the Lantus pen to remind myself that it was the long lasting insulin. Worked for me :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
John, I work in healthcare and will be recommending your pen cap to a couple of my patients. Great idea! Have you considered and alarm, present to 4-6-8-10-12 hours?? May get a couple for my pens as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Timesulin - now available!

To answer your question, Yakfishingfool - yes, we looked at all the different variants, including an alarm, memory, etc. But we found that it defeated the purpose of what we hoped to achieve with Timesulin...something that is affordable, easy to use and solves one major problem.

Thank you for the support, everyone. It is hugely appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts