The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I cancelled my appointment with the practitioner for an insulin pump. Just too far out of reach right now at about $1000 out of pocket and increased monthly expenses for maintenance items. At first I really wanted the pump with CGM but found it has very expensive batteries to replace every 3 or 4 mos.

What now? Thought about the pen for my humilog and just continue the one a day needle injection with Lantus. What do you all know about the pens? Are they more convenient? Expensive?

One question I have is temperature in my shirt pocket. I have always kept my insulin cold in an insulated bag, since a bad experience at Disney World where it got too hot and lost its power without me knowing it until my sugars kept ramping up.

Thanks for sharing,

reido

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Reido, I use a pen for my Humalog and one for my humalin N ,IT's a Luxura pen I got them free from the site of Lilly or Humalog .I'm from Canada ,don't know for other country .And that was 1 1/2 year ago ,To bad for the pump
Bye Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello reido, Yes the pumps are expensive to have and a great insurance to support it too.
On the insulin and temperature is to keep it cold and in the dark!!
Pens are better and less obtrusive too as it not a disposable syringe as people see as a drug addict would do. I wish I had pens when I was in Europe. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well, that's a darn shame Reido. :( You were so close too. I don't know what the maintenance cost is but $1,000. isn't much if you really wanted it, I would think. You should have kept your appointment just to learn about the pump so you'll be really ready in the future. I'm going to the appointment and I don't even want a pump. ;) I thought it would be interesting plus I could see how to work it, wear it, and ask other questions. Just a learning experience.

I had a Novo Pen 3 many years ago. I think I still have it. My Endo gave it to me just like they have always given me meter kits. That's Good if Lilly gives them free like Richard said.

I always kept mine in the fridge at home and put it in the fridge of the place I ended up when travelling. (That's because I'm superstitious :rolleyes:). It was Fine with me. Most People just put them in their pocket or purse and usually don't have a problem. Yes, they are more convenient. I think the cartridges cost a bit more though. Don't ask me why.

CTV.CA

Lilly to introduce unique insulin pen
Updated Thu. Feb. 22 2007 8:02 AM ET

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Katy Folven never leaves home without her insulin pen, but the busy Boston social worker sometimes forgets to track her daily doses.

When that happens, she must prick one of her already-calloused fingertips to measure blood sugar. That can mean as many as 10 punctures in a day.

Eli Lilly and Co. is introducing a unique insulin pen Thursday that could prevent some punctures. The Indianapolis drug maker's Memoir pen, the first on the market with a memory device, is for use with its top-selling insulin, Humalog.

The battery-operated pen, called the "Lexus" of insulin pens by one doctor, uses a computer chip to remember the last 16 insulin doses delivered.

Lilly says Memoir could reduce hassles for some of the 21 million Americans who live with diabetes, but others question whether it will catch on.

"The concept is beautiful," said Dr. William Hsu of the Joslin Diabetes Center, also in Boston. "Now the issue is, is it practical?"

Some predict U.S. insurers and patients might be hesitant to pay $100 for the pen and a separate fee for the insulin cartridges.

And while insulin pens are popular in Europe and Asia, only about 800,000 of the 4 million U.S. diabetics who need daily insulin injections use a pen. Most use syringes and insulin vials.

Matt Beebe, the company's U.S. brand team leader for Humalog, predicts that will change once Memoir enters the market. He said Lilly is debuting Memoir in the U.S. and may branch into Europe and Asia.

Hsu said the pen's price will keep him from prescribing it.

"I think it's expensive," he said.

Lilly plans to offer coupons that let patients buy one of the new pens for $45.

"Patients helped us develop it and gave us the idea to bring it to market, and we want to make sure they have access to it," Beebe said.

The new pen could boost Lilly's diabetes product portfolio, which took a hit last month when the company announced it was halting the construction of a Virginia insulin plant. Company officials have said they expect worldwide demand for Lilly's insulin products to grow, but not at levels projected when plans for the site were developed in 2003.

Lilly's diabetes portfolio accounted for nearly one-fifth of the company's $15.7 billion revenue in 2006, and analysts have predicted that figure could double in the next four years.

Lilly spent seven years developing the pen in partnership with Battelle Medical Device Solutions of Columbus, Ohio. It is one of three that Lilly plans to introduce this year, part of a strategy to increase Humalog demand, said Lehman Brothers analyst Tony Butler.

Memoir answers a call for more patient-friendly products, said Miller Tabak and Co. analyst Les Funtleyder. But he doubts it will lead to a noticeable revenue increase for the drug maker.

"That could change if everybody says they have to have it, like the next Tickle Me Elmo," he said. But he said the pen was "a step in the right direction for Lilly, and it certainly is where the world is going."

Folven, who was diagnosed with diabetes more than 20 years ago, said she plans to ask her doctor about Memoir.

"Having a backup is nice because it's not always easy when life gets going," she said.

----------------------------------------------------

Here is Richard's pen and the application for a free one if you are elligible. If you haven't seen it already.

https://www.humapenluxura.ca/en/default.aspx

Nice pen Richard. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Terrie, on the voucher i saw on the site you could get the Luxura hd or The Memoir the only thing you needed was a prescription from yoor MD .I sent a PM to reido with the Link
I heard from someone that the Memoir was fragile in cold weather had to be carefull with it .I have no problem with the Luxura .Bye Richard P.S the voucher with the Memoir & Luxura is for U.S resident only The one Terrie put up is for Canadians Here's the link For The U.S .A voucher

Coupon

·
Banned
36 Posts
Well, I cancelled my appointment with the practitioner for an insulin pump. Just too far out of reach right now at about $1000 out of pocket and increased monthly expenses for maintenance items. At first I really wanted the pump with CGM but found it has very expensive batteries to replace every 3 or 4 mos.

What now? Thought about the pen for my humilog and just continue the one a day needle injection with Lantus. What do you all know about the pens? Are they more convenient? Expensive?

One question I have is temperature in my shirt pocket. I have always kept my insulin cold in an insulated bag, since a bad experience at Disney World where it got too hot and lost its power without me knowing it until my sugars kept ramping up.

Thanks for sharing,

reido
If not covered by insurance, pens cost 50-100% more than syringe therapy, pumps cost up to 300% as much. There's no clinical evidence that pumps or pens have been more efficacious in actual use.

Look at hocks dot com or do a google shopping search for your insulin. The 3 ml containers are for pens, the 10 ml vial for syringes. Pen needles cost as much or more than open market syringes. With pens you have to deal with determining doses, changing needles after each injection. Pens are physically much larger than an individual syringe. You may need to carry a spare cartridge when running low.

Given that you still need to carry a meter and its paraphernalia, alcohol swabs, logbook, etc I think the claimed convenience of a pen is questionable.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks for sharing,

reido
i like it. i am 14 and on the humilog pen and lantus. i don't wont to change because, it has the most flexibility. and for Expenses it depends on how you use it i think we save some.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
i like it. i am 14 and on the humilog pen and lantus. i don't wont to change because, it has the most flexibility. and for Expenses it depends on how you use it i think we save some.:D
also you can keep it room temp. but it is better to keep it a little colder than that

·
Banned
36 Posts
also you can keep it room temp. but it is better to keep it a little colder than that
Insulin doesn't care what shape you carry it in, just its temperature. Unrefrigerated it loses potency after 28 days, deteriorates faster if it is kept in a shirt or pants pocket because the ambient temperature is above 85 degrees F.

A pen does no better job protecting the contents from temperature fluctuations than a vial in a "blanket". Since it's now common to meter prior to every injection, a meter case is a convenient place to carry insulin in any form. It will provide a better thermal environment than a pocket. The thicker the case the slower the internal temperature will change.

Life requires compromises. If cost were no object we'd all use CGMS and have pumps or pods for everyday use. It is; we don't. the trick is to find ways to make our insulin use as simple and convenient as possible given our individual circumstances.

TIPS that made my syringe usage away from home easier:
1. (FREE) Being a pack rat, I saved a hundred or so of the older style cylindrical test strip bottles with the white caps. They are EXACTLY the right size to hold a vial of Humalog, and if the silica is removed from the cap, for a vial of Lantus. The LDP material makes them excellent insulated protective cases, better than blankets, and they keep the stopper cleaner.
2. (FREE) Empty test strip bottles are convenient for holding used needles and lancets while traveling. If so used, they should be clearly labeled.
3. (FREE) Recommendations against recapping syringes always say "other people's syringes", and are intended to prevent infection. If done carefully, a used insulin syringe can be recapped, the needle, hub and tip of the syringe can be snapped off in one fast motion, making it far easier to contain the sharp parts of the sharps. It makes the broken syringe impossible to use again and less dangerous.
4. (CHEAP) Cases are available to hold pre-drawn syringes, a very inexpensive compromise between carrying a pen or a vial for a day (the better regulated your BG and diet, the less the waste). insulincaseshop dot com.
5. (CHEAP) A large snap-open eyeglass case ($4 at many W*lm*rt stores) can hold a mini-meter, strips, lancettes, alcohol swabs,a vial, two syringes and a 1 week log page.
6. (CHEAP) A case from a full size meter can accommodate a surprising amount of the stuff if you get a new mini-meter that uses the same strips - everything I need for MDI for up to 3 days.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In many ways, Belgium, Europe is behind in technology, science, medicin; As far as insulin goes, most people over here use pens. I actually don't know anybody in Belgium who has D and uses syringes. The day you start giving yourself injections, you get free pens, free insulin, a glucose meter and limited strips to do so. The only thing we have to pay for ourselves, are the needles.
Pumpers get all their material free. The only thing pumpers need to pay for, are extra pump pockets.

For a change, I'm happy I live over here...

·
Banned
36 Posts
In many ways, Belgium, Europe is behind in technology, science, medicin; As far as insulin goes, most people over here use pens. I actually don't know anybody in Belgium who has D and uses syringes. The day you start giving yourself injections, you get free pens, free insulin, a glucose meter and limited strips to do so. The only thing we have to pay for ourselves, are the needles.
Pumpers get all their material free. The only thing pumpers need to pay for, are extra pump pockets.

For a change, I'm happy I live over here...
The original question was from someone using syringes who was concerned about cost.

I'm happy for you that you live in a country with socialized medicine and get your diabetes supplies at no direct charge. That doesn't help the questioner who doesn't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all.
Is there possibility to send one humapen memoir to Europe (not aviable in my country) ? I can pay for shipment and cost of pen.

Anyone can help? I'll be gratefull
Regards!
Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.