The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i'm looking for some help.... Last night i was refilling the reservoir on my pump and i got an A33 error code.....well i called them this morning and it turns out that its a sensor that went out in my pump and that the pump is shot....also the warranty was up in april 2010.....(figures just like a car something will go wrong as soon as the warranty is up)....so they are sending me a replacement for 90 days so i will have one till i can figure something out. Heres my deal....I have no insurance, i can't afford test strips....or to go to a doctor that knows anything about my diabetes....i can't afford a new pump.. any ideas??? i'm turning in applications left and right for state help. but they usually turn me down....any help and ideas are much appreciated ...i'm pretty scared right now.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Most type 1 diabetics use injections, and both basal and bolus insulins. The insulins can be purchases cheaper at Walmart. I had very good cntrol and an A1c below 6.0 with injections. I did eventually use a pump, but injections, along with carb counting, will enable you to have good control. The great majority of type 1 diabetics do it that way, because their doctors will not approve of their using pumps, or because they do not have insurance coverage.

I'm sorry I don't know how you can get coverage for a pump, without insurance. There may be a way, but I am not familiar with that. I just want you to know that very good control is possible without a pump.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well just an update....I found out yesterday that there are still wonderful caring people in the world....someone contacted me saying they had an older but spare pump and extra test strips....you can only imagine my relief as i have been on the pump for 5 years now and i have had better success controlling my diabetes on the pump....my doctor had actually fought with my insurance company for me to get it.....so to this stranger across the country BLESS YOU! i didn't know there were still people out there like that. i think sometimes we lose faith in humanity and it takes a wake up call sometimes. Merry Christmas and i look forward to the chance to pay it forward.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That is wonderful! i am so pleased that this has happened. Good luck with the pump. Is it the same brand as the one you were using before?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Great news, Princess! Please keep us posted on how things are going . . . this is a truly inspiring development!

Well just an update....I found out yesterday that there are still wonderful caring people in the world....someone contacted me saying they had an older but spare pump and extra test strips....you can only imagine my relief as i have been on the pump for 5 years now and i have had better success controlling my diabetes on the pump....my doctor had actually fought with my insurance company for me to get it.....so to this stranger across the country BLESS YOU! i didn't know there were still people out there like that. i think sometimes we lose faith in humanity and it takes a wake up call sometimes. Merry Christmas and i look forward to the chance to pay it forward.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is also a mini med pump its just an older version then the one i have....and i talked to a rep from mini med today that has been working with me and she said that if i can get approved for Medi cal though the state of california that i have a really good chance of getting a brand new pump! keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
Not Sure Wheather This will Help You But There Is A Web Site For Help In Getting Diabetes Supplys..
Won,t Let Me Post Links So You Can Message Me @ My Yahoo ronsle

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Ron . . . good to hear from you. I think you've been lurking for awhile & it's nice to finally meet you. Where are you in Missouri? I'm about halfway between StLouis & Springfield along I-44.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Shanny
I Am Almost To The Kansas/ Oklahoma Border .. Just East Of Joplin .
Town Is Carthage
Where Are You? Rolla?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts