The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else struggling with insurance companies to get on an insulin pump? I have been fighting on and off for years now with no end in sight, but am determined to continue fighting for what I believe to be the best option available to me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What type of diabetic are you?

since your fighting with insurance I will have to GUESS your a T2 it took me 5 years to get mine.
I had the pump maker (OmniPod) get in touch with my MD and they worked it out with my insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, no, I am a type 1, diagnosed 13 years ago. There argument is that I have my diabetes in excellent control without it. My argument is that it is best practice and more practical in today's world than vial and syringe or pen.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Actually, no, I am a type 1, diagnosed 13 years ago. There argument is that I have my diabetes in excellent control without it. My argument is that it is best practice and more practical in today's world than vial and syringe or pen.
My own personal argument to the insurance company would be "you don't mind taking my premium money every month", they should want what is best for the patient. Your Doctor should also be having input about what is best for you and if a pump is what you want - the doctor should also be fighting for you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure what insurance company you use, but I know my endo told me they have a rep at her office who works with the insurance people to help type 1 patients get what they need. Right now my insurance company is paying 100%. I'm not on one right now but they want me to switch by December. Maybe you should ask your endo if they have someone there who could help.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Is anyone else struggling with insurance companies to get on an insulin pump? I have been fighting on and off for years now with no end in sight, but am determined to continue fighting for what I believe to be the best option available to me.
Sorry you are having such a difficult time getting on a pump. I am a Type 2 and have experienced years of difficulty getting under control. I am going to begin on the Animas Ping Pump by end of October. My insurance covers 70/30 until I hit $5,000 out of pocket deductible, so I am responsible right now for about $3,000. I feel over time it will be worth it as I am spending at least $220 a month just for insulin, needles, and test strips. Once I hit that $5,000 out of pocket, the insurance will pay 100%. Unfortunately it is already toward the end of the year 2012, but hopefully 2013 will hit earlier and alleviate that cost for a good portion of the year 2013.

I have an excellent endo, and she was able to get it approved with no problem. But then again if you have great control as a Type 1, might be more of an argument to get it covered. I hate the insurance companies; they think they know what's best from a beaurocratic standpoint.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 7 of 7 Posts