The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, y'all, I just have a couple questions about insulin that I'm hoping someone can help me with!

1. Where is the best place to inject? I've been using my thigh, but now that I'm on a higher dose, injecting into my thigh is quite painful. I'm actually having to break the dose into 2 shots, if I try to do it as one, it welts up under my skin.

2. Dr. finally put me on fast acting insulin but at 5 mg after eating if my numbers get above 250. Is that a normal dose?

I don't have a lot of faith in my dr for the diabetes, so I'm trying to find an endocrinologist to help me. I love my dr for most things, but for this, it seems like he's been guessing more than anything. I don't like feeling like this about him, so I think a different dr will help.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Insulin is injected into fat Most people inject in there abdomen. Pinch up about 1 inch of fat and inject.

There is no "normal" amount each person is different. however usually the fast acting insulin is taken before you eat and the amount of insulin depends on the amount of carbs you eat, and your specific insulin/carb ratio.

most people try for a 2 hour post eating BGL of 140 or below.

Test your BGL before you eat, 1 hour after and 2 hours after.

A BGL of 250 is too high. The MD may be trying to get you to lower it slowly (I hope)?

Definitely see an endocrinologist

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hey, y'all, I just have a couple questions about insulin that I'm hoping someone can help me with!

1. Where is the best place to inject? I've been using my thigh, but now that I'm on a higher dose, injecting into my thigh is quite painful. I'm actually having to break the dose into 2 shots, if I try to do it as one, it welts up under my skin.

2. Dr. finally put me on fast acting insulin but at 5 mg after eating if my numbers get above 250. Is that a normal dose?

I don't have a lot of faith in my dr for the diabetes, so I'm trying to find an endocrinologist to help me. I love my dr for most things, but for this, it seems like he's been guessing more than anything. I don't like feeling like this about him, so I think a different dr will help.
I inject my insulin in my abdomen, I pinch up some fat and inject. I always wait at least 15 seconds before pulling the needle out and keep my finger over the injection site for another 15 seconds, that way I don't leak any insulin. Do you mean 5 units? Sounds kind of like a sliding scale for the fast acting insulin. Most people count carbs and that will keep your blood glucose within target ranges. Taking 5 units of fast acting insulin after meals will bring your blood glucose down but you need to know what your insulin sensitivty factor is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I inject my insulin in my abdomen, I pinch up some fat and inject. I always wait at least 15 seconds before pulling the needle out and keep my finger over the injection site for another 15 seconds, that way I don't leak any insulin. Do you mean 5 units? Sounds kind of like a sliding scale for the fast acting insulin. Most people count carbs and that will keep your blood glucose within target ranges. Taking 5 units of fast acting insulin after meals will bring your blood glucose down but you need to know what your insulin sensitivty factor is.
Thanks for the tip about waiting a bit before pulling out the needle & then covering up the site for a bit as well. That worked beautifully today, it didn't leak out any insulin. I actually was able to inject the full dose in one spot tonight, I just have to inject very slowly, otherwise it hurts. I still haven't tried the stomach area, kinda nervous about that. What about the upper arm, is that a good location? The only area with any extra .... cushioning shall we say ;) .... is my stomach and that's not much. Before now, in the past 2 or 3 years I've lost close to 100 lbs, which is how I was able to control my diabetes with diet & exercise. I had a thoroughbred horse and spent a lot of time with her and that was great exercise, but she had to be put to sleep last fall. I'm going back to that, found a place to volunteer with off the track thoroughbred race horses. Actually I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Anyways, I'm rambling. Just wanted to say thank you!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for the tip about waiting a bit before pulling out the needle & then covering up the site for a bit as well. That worked beautifully today, it didn't leak out any insulin. I actually was able to inject the full dose in one spot tonight, I just have to inject very slowly, otherwise it hurts. I still haven't tried the stomach area, kinda nervous about that. What about the upper arm, is that a good location? The only area with any extra .... cushioning shall we say ;) .... is my stomach and that's not much. Before now, in the past 2 or 3 years I've lost close to 100 lbs, which is how I was able to control my diabetes with diet & exercise. I had a thoroughbred horse and spent a lot of time with her and that was great exercise, but she had to be put to sleep last fall. I'm going back to that, found a place to volunteer with off the track thoroughbred race horses. Actually I'm really looking forward to it. :)

When I would wear a jumper or a casual dress, I would use my upper arm to inject my fast acting insulin. I would sit in my car and inject my insulin before going out to eat lunch. I am not sure I would use my arm to inject my Lantus, it is an 80 unit shot and the Lantus does sting sometimes and I find my abdomen is the best place to inject insulin, most of the time I don't feel anything.

I have always loved horses, but I live in the city and there just are not that many places to ride.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

The abdomen is my favorite place actually. Once you get over the "ick" factor of it and just try it...you will be glad you did. Most the time I barely even feel it there and I find that I get the best absorption there also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The abdomen is my most frequent place too. I do inject my daily lantus in the rear end area. Keeps me flexible too.

I also have fat on the inside of my legs between the knee and ankle. The skin is thinner there, but tends to bleed more often. That area is quite handy. Don't even have to untuck a blouse. Tummies and especially backs have really tough skin. Wild animal protection I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.