The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with being insulin resistant a year ago and was told I should lose 5 of my 85 kilos and I should be fine. Well I'm down to 77 Kilos and have been feeling a lot better until recently when the hangover feeling returned along with the tiredness, headaches and blury vision. I can practicly feel the sugar rushing around my body so I bought a blood glucose monitor which gave me a fasting reading of 7.1 mmol/l or 128 for those in the US. It is two days later and it has come down to 6.5 this morning.

I'm 34, run half marathons and eat what I though to be a healthy diet. I cook my own meals, eat plenty of Veg and fruit and don't go crazy on the carbs.

Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family and I'm concerned that no matter what I do with my lifestyle it is inevitable I will become Diabetic myself.

Has anyone lived with Insulin resistance and stopped it from becoming diabetes and if so was it purely diet and exercise? I'm not afraid of being disciplined but I am afraid of failing and what the future will bring.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, lawprop . . . my experience with insulin resistance is that it responds well to metformin. It responds to exercise, of course, but I don't see how you could exercise any more than you already do.

My advice is to get a coupla blood tests done - A1c and possibly OGTT - to see exactly where you are on this diabetes timeline.

Determining that you need metformin or any other weapon in the diabetes arsenal is not failure. It is victory over a condition that can otherwise rob you of everything you need to continue running.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You didn't fail... your body did.
Unfortunately, while we are tied to our bodies they dont necessarily do what we want.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Personally I see very little difference between being insulin resistant and a type 2 diabetic...seems like the same animal to me *shrug*

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
T2 is amazingly high in heredity.
It is NOT the end of the world.
One day at a time is all we've got.
You sound like a smart guy who
Knows what he must do and will do it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. It's not very often I find something I'm afraid of in life and this has shaken me more then I thought it would.
It's obvious you are all looking at the glass half full side of Diabetes and I need to put myself firmly in that camp.
So what I really need is information to arm myself with to make the most of what this body can do.
First step is a trip to the docs to get some more tests done. Shanny, what are the A1c and OGTT tests?
Can anyone tell me the effect of exercise on blood glucose levels? I tested 5.8 (104.4) this morning and after a 4k run tested 7 (126). Obviously exercise is good for us but should I avoid eating afterwards to help balance the levels?

I get the feeling it's about getting the combination of the little things right to make a big difference so any other advice is very welcome.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thank you. It's not very often I find something I'm afraid of in life and this has shaken me more then I thought it would.
It's obvious you are all looking at the glass half full side of Diabetes and I need to put myself firmly in that camp.
So what I really need is information to arm myself with to make the most of what this body can do.
First step is a trip to the docs to get some more tests done. Shanny, what are the A1c and OGTT tests?
Can anyone tell me the effect of exercise on blood glucose levels? I tested 5.8 (104.4) this morning and after a 4k run tested 7 (126). Obviously exercise is good for us but should I avoid eating afterwards to help balance the levels?

I get the feeling it's about getting the combination of the little things right to make a big difference so any other advice is very welcome.

Exercise is an important part of managing your blood sugar. It naturally lowers insulin resistance, sort of unlocks those little locked doors. The benefits last longer than just immediately after exercising, so its important to get regular moderate exercise as you can tolerate it. Sometimes you might experience a rise in blood sugar immediately after exercising (especially vigorous exercise like a 4K run) because your liver sees the need for extra energy and "feeds" the body by dumping glucose into the bloodstream. Its a normal body reaction, unfortunately our livers havent clued in that we dont always need the help :)

You are absolutely right....it is a balance and we are all different. What works for me, might not work for you and vice versa. The best thing to do is take the basic information and tailor it to fit you. It even varies with foods we can eat. For instance, there are some diabetics that still enjoy watermelon...I cant eat it. Sends my blood sugars through the roof. But, I can sit and eat a big bowl of berries and not have a problem..some people cant eat them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pam

That all makes sense. I'll find out more on what levels of exercise triggers the liver into action. I guess it's trial and error time, which could be fun as I'm a bit of a foodie.

Do you have an understanding on how caffiene can effect people with insulin resistance?

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The A1c is a blood test that shows how much glucose is riding around on your hemoglobin - i.e., attached to your red blood cells. Since the average life of a red blood cell is 90 days or so, the test gives a wide-angle shot of your blood glucose over the last 90 days. The A1c number can then be converted to average daily BG levels.

The OGTT is testing how your body reacts to glucose. Beginning with fasting, and in a laboratory setting, you are administered a measured dose of glucose and then tested at hourly intervals to record exactly what your blood levels do.

Other diagnostic tests can be done to determine which type you are, if there's any doubt. Tests for antibodies in case there's an autoimmune thing going on (type 1), and C-Peptide to find out if and how much insulin your pancreas produces at that given moment.

All of this is at your doctor's discretion, but if you run into a blasé doc who's inclined to tell you "aw, don't worry about it" . . . it never hurts to have a little more ammunition at your disposal. You deserve to have the numbers, and if they don't offer a copy of your test results, then ask for it. They have to give it to you - at least up here - dunno about Australia . . . :confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks Pam

That all makes sense. I'll find out more on what levels of exercise triggers the liver into action. I guess it's trial and error time, which could be fun as I'm a bit of a foodie.

Do you have an understanding on how caffiene can effect people with insulin resistance?

Cheers
Matt
Not a good working understanding of it...I have read some info that it could impair glucose metabolism somehow. I have given up many things in life...I just gotta have my caffeine!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh you're gonna have fun, Matt . . . I'm a foodie too & it's a blast working out great dishes with little or no carbs - it truly is!!! This is how silly it gets in my kitchen sometimes . . .

That's my kind of breakfast.:D

Thanks for the technical info on the tests. It's good to know what I'm getting into before I go to the Docs.

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a good working understanding of it...I have read some info that it could impair glucose metabolism somehow. I have given up many things in life...I just gotta have my caffeine!
I'm with you there. I think I'll hold on to the morning coffee hit until I'm told otherwise.

I am getting a better sense from you all about how much food effects us and I can see a pattern emerging. I've been thinking back to how I have felt over the last year and there are times I've felt full of energy and times when it's been pretty rubbish and I know it's linked to when I'm more focused on what I eat, making more time to enjoy the food I cook, rather then convenient processed foods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts