The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article in The Atlantic from a resident in internal medicine and pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine who claims that, for many, insulin that's cheaper than more advanced diabetes medications is not A Good Thing.

"But for the 90 percent of Americans with diabetes who have type 2, [insulin] should not routinely be the first-, second-, or even third-line treatment."
His argument seems to center on the stated benefits of SGLT2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists as being less likely to cause hypos because of inaccurate dosing. I don't have anything from Johns Hopkins after my name but I find it interesting that this doctor prefers other medications other than a synthetic version of what the body naturally uses for managing blood glucose and doesn't consider alternative insulin delivery systems as a possible response to the problem of managing insulin levels.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Reading the initial claim, I was expecting the reasoning to be the risk of patients increasing the dosage to offset high BG. Too much insulin in circulation is bad for other things in addition to just suffering lows. I'll give this a read after I get back from football game.

My thoughts would be do the benefits of less lows outweigh the potential health risks of the SGLT2 and GLP-1 drugs?

Reactions: kyteflyer

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts would be do the benefits of less lows outweigh the potential health risks of the SGLT2 and GLP-1 drugs?
Exactly my thoughts too. But the current conventional wisdom on hypos is to pad so much that it takes a while to get to a low. I'm not sure if that's the best course of action. Maybe for many people it is.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
This is a media hit piece trying to scare people about insulin, with a cherry picked comparison. Claims of high and low BG issues with insulin, which by the way are possible, with nothing but praise and no mention of the potential dangers of the big pharma chemicals. It would be no different to be a pro-insulin article claiming insulin does not cause cancer, whereas these drugs have the potential for. What is needed is better education about all the optional treatments.

That's my opinion of it anyway.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That's my opinion of it anyway.
Very much inclined to agree. The oral meds I was on, prior to deciding it was time for insulin, practically killed my pancreas… Yes, my BG was well controlled, whilst my beta cells were overworked. I’m glad to be on insulin. Even if I seem to need more education on it because I do keep giving myself hypos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts