The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little guidance on Insulow. I've been taking plain ALA along with my suppertime meds, but now that I've gotten hold of Insulow, I see it recommends administering about 15 minutes before eating, and also that it's apparently gauged on how many carbs in the meal - like one capsule for 30-40g carbs.

I eat very few carbs - like tonight my entire meal was one smallish zucchini sautéed in butter, which according to NutritionData, is about 5g net carbs. And I took my meds with a cup of almond milk, which is 1g net.

I think I can get into the timing of the Insulow if I remember to take it when I start getting the meal instead of when I sit down to it as has been my habit with other meds which need to be taken with food.

I just need to hear from any of you who take it and what your experiences are.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I need a little guidance on Insulow. I've been taking plain ALA along with my suppertime meds, but now that I've gotten hold of Insulow, I see it recommends administering about 15 minutes before eating, and also that it's apparently gauged on how many carbs in the meal - like one capsule for 30-40g carbs.

I eat very few carbs - like tonight my entire meal was one smallish zucchini sautéed in butter, which according to NutritionData, is about 5g net carbs. And I took my meds with a cup of almond milk, which is 1g net.

I think I can get into the timing of the Insulow if I remember to take it when I start getting the meal instead of when I sit down to it as has been my habit with other meds which need to be taken with food.

I just need to hear from any of you who take it and what your experiences are.
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier!

I don't take it according to the directions. Instead, I follow Dr Bernstein's suggestion to take it morning and evening. So, I take it before or at breakfast and at bedtime. Since I take other meds then, it makes it easy for me to remember. And, it's worked very well for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really good to hear, Barrie, because I just last night loaded it into my morning & evening medtrackers, to be taken with all my other meds. Now I can stop worrying about timing. Thanks loads! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am not familiar with Insulow. What is it and what does it do?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's still alpha lipoic acid, the antioxidant that enhances glucose uptake/insulin sensitivity & helps with carbohydrate uptake, but it's R-ALA with biotin added.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's still alpha lipoic acid, the antioxidant that enhances glucose uptake/insulin sensitivity & helps with carbohydrate uptake, but it's R-ALA with biotin added.
Do you find that it has really made a difference? I am all about trying anything that helps :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using plain ALA for quite awhile, but there does seem to be some improvement since I got on Insulow. Maybe it's my imagination, but my fasting numbers are showing on the other thread & they're finally inching back down toward 100. It's been four months since my first cataract surgery & the quick succession of three other procedures requiring pre-op fasting, suspension of my metformin, plus anesthesia, and it really knocked my BG for a loop!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts