The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so angry with my insurance right now. I had the doctor put in refill for my test strips at the pharmacy. I go to pick them up and the girl helping me says "do you realize this prescription is going to cost $120.00?" I was like what? I know my insurance increased copay to $40.00 for test strips, but this prescription was for 66 days rather than just 33 days. Shouldn't the cost be $80.00? She said they only go according to what the insurance tells them. She looked up the prescription cost for 33 day supply and it came up $40.00! What the heck? I sure as heck am not going to pay an extra copay amount for less than a 90 day supply! She told me that it could be that Caremark (that is who handles the prescriptions for my insurance plan) wants people to use mail order (which we are not eligible for with the plan we have) or CVS because that is who they are affiliated with. Can they actually do that? A copay is a copay. The pharmacy I go to is a covered, considered in network with my plan, so why would what pharmacy I use make a difference? So now I have to call the insurance company tomorrow and find out why this would be. I hate all this bureaucratic bull crap!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't like it but insurance companies can make any type of ruling they want. We pay through the nose for our individual insurance, over $1000 a month. But it doesn't cover one penny toward my strips until we meet a $6000 deductible each calander year. I stopped using the pharmacy and buy mine online for about $43 per 100 strips ( Contour USB). I do understand they would rather everyone use their mail order companies and they are trying to shape your behavior. You can also get cheap strips at Walmart. Many of us buy extra strips there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I remember having an issue with a local pharmacy and my supply of test strips. It turns out the pharmacy did not use the correct code when entering in the script in their computer system ... Something about durable medical supply ... and would try to charge me full price saying the script was not covered. A quick call to my insurance company helped resolve the issue and I was then only responsible for my copay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts