The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a final year student undergoing a project at Northumbria university in the UK about Diabetics and their interaction with their insulin.

I am a type 1 Diabetic myself and have been for 12 years now and I know without my insulin I would not be here today. My interaction with my insulin is that I fell strongly about its security incase it gets stolen and refrigeration because I do not want it to stop working effectively.

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me about their interactions with their insulin, anything good, bad and why.

Any insights, story's, examples and views will be fantastic and greatly appreciated and will remain anonymous within my project.

Thank you

Alex

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Alex, welcome to our community! I have used insulin for 64 years and I have never had a problem with it. I watch the expiration date in case I have an old vial in the fridge. Sometimes I fail to use the older vials first.

I have had insulin in my pockets or in my car when the temperature was above 90 degrees and also when it is below 20 degrees in the colder weather. The insulin was not affected by the high/low temperatures. I never allow a vial of insulin to remain in direct sunlight. If insulin ever freezes it should be thrown out but I have never had that problem.

I keep my unopened vials in the refrigerator but I can carry an open vial in my pocket with no problem. Body temperature is not a problem. I am presently pumping insulin and the insulin in the resevoir on my pump is directly against my body at all times. The heat from my body does not affect the insulin at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me and the insulin

hello

When ready Richard's story or about the history of the insulin, I feel lucky being diabetic now days and not 60 years ago.
As an expert diabetes coach I aid diabetics to incorporate the medical imperatives into their daily practice and live with diabetes in a hopeful frame of mind. One need to know to look for the positive side. How to find the positive side to everything? This can be taught.
http://www.irispeleg.com/english/diabetes.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts