Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

interestated in knowing what the conditions are in other places

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  onaughmae 
#1 ·
hej I'm Nicoline, I'm 18 and have been a diabetic for 16 years. I've have had my ups and downs in that time, and would gladly help and talk to every one, who might like it. I'm here too learn and get a greater knolegde of my illness. lately I'v become more and more interested in how diabetics in other countries are treated. Both medically and by the authorities and what kind of help they are offered. Last if someone would want to share, who much of thier medication you have to pay for yourself. As I find myself very furtunate, I would like to know if it is any harder in other countries. Also I would like to know some of the medical terms used in English because I'm not to familier with them: )

#2 ·
Hej!
I'm only a Type 2 diagnosed 15 years ago. I am lucky to have health insurance through my work. Previously I could lose my insurace if I switched jobs cause this was a pre-existing condition but luckily never had that issue. I could also just be kicked off my insurance if they didn't like me. With new health insurance laws here that can no longer happen. My company is not allowed to fire me (or not hire me) because of my health situation. they pay a large part of insurance and I pay a part as well. I'm on like 5 medications and use a blood glucose meter. I pay a small amount of $ ($10_$40) each time i get a refill insurance covers the rest

#3 ·
I'm also a Type 2 in the US. We have to buy our own insurance since we own a small business. Our insurance costs us over $1000 a month and then we have a huge deductible before any of our costs are covered. So basically we pay for everything up front- strips, Rx's, doctor's visits and labs. Since both my husband and I have diabetes we are considered having pre existing conditions. Even getting insurance through the government's high risk program would cost us $1500 a month.

#5 ·
Hi there Nicoline. Welcome to the forum! We are always glad to hear other people's stories and how they manage their diabetes. I use Novolog insulin with a pump. The way people pay here really depends on their insurance. For instance, I buy my insulin for 3 months at a time, and each time I pay 90 dollars. My pump supplies also come in 3 month allotments and I pay 92 dollars. My testing supplies are all free to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.