The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Interesting...

I started taking magnesium b/c I was having migraines and the meds they gave me made me feel like I was having a heart attack. So I tried magnesium for a while and I haven't had another migraine since - that was about 4 years ago.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I vaguely remember (as I remember everything) reading that magnesium should be balanced with calcium in the ratio of 2 to 5. Is that correct? I need to review my supplements and see exactly what I am getting of both minerals.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Okay, I added up the supplements I take. It works out to 1380 mg of calcium and 560 of magnesium. That ratio is exactly 2 to 5.

G

·
I take Bio-Magnesium everyday which includes calcium, vitamin B6, vitamin D3. The diabetes clinic I go to has long promoted that research shows that diabetics are deficient in magnesium/chronium/vitamins D & B. All of these are needed to help regulate sugar levels in the body. Interestingly I saw a iridologist/naturopath last year and was told I'm deficient in magnesium and to double my intake.\
@wdmama - I wish it did the same for me. lol. I still get migraines and I take my magnesium supplement daily.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A good way to get magnesium is to eat foods high in it. Foods like almonds, spinach, pumpkin seeds, artichokes are great sources. I think 2 oz of almond butter has close to 150 mg of magnesium. My go to snack is almond butter and it is great for my bgs. Also pouring some Epsom Salts into your bath at night is a great way to absorb more magnesium and relax at the same time. Magnesium is important for good muscle activity. If I am not eating enough magnesium rich foods I will then use supplements. Same with potassium I try to get it through food like avacados, but sometimes I need extra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts