The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know, I was diagnosed diabetic after finally getting a therapist to deal with the traumatic birth of my daughter three and a half years ago. Long story short, I lost half of my blood supply during the c-section and had two post partum hemorrahages (spelling) four days later. I recevied seven pints of blood over 4 days and went home with an anti depressant because my ob gyn thought I was suffering from anxiety issues. Ya think? I almost died three times! Anyway, I started having panic attacks when she was 6 months old and got my anti depressant switched. I really haven't had problems until I wean myself off of them and then a couple of months later I am back in the same boat. My therapist thinks diabetes may have always been the problem or that stress caused my diabetes. She can't wait for to meet with the endo in Sept to see what he says. So what came first? The chicken or the egg? And now that I have a meter, when I have a panic attack my blood sugar is high, not low. Thanks for reading my novel. I feel better telling you guys where my health anxiety comes from......................

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Blood Sugar Control is very tricky. There are so many things that can go wrong in the body that affects bgs. Many women during pregnacy have Gestational Diabetes and this may morph into full blown diabetes after pregnancy. Also hormonal imbalance can throw bgs off. Also bad signaling between liver and pancreas can cause high bgs. When your body produces stress hormones, they then signal liver to convert stored glycogen into readily available glucose. If our bodies were perfect then when we produce stress hormones, then our pancreas would also produce insulin to counteract bg rise. So even those there are lots of causes for bg rise, the ultimate problem is usually a weak insulin response. I think it is hard to say what caused your diabetes. I doubt an Endo would know. As far as stress, many of us spike with stress, it is not unusual. Even when I exercise intensely my body interprets it as stress and spikes my bgs.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can definitely confirm that hard exercise will spike anyone. Tested my wife as soon as she came in from a 26 km run and she was 12+ had her go wash and dry her hands as I thought salt affected meter. Retested and she was 8.7 did not test her again but I know she has a very good response and would be under 5 in a short period of time. When they say runners hit the wall I wonder if it's part of this whole dynamic between liver and pancreas. I wonder if a type 2 can ever become a long distance runner or if you don't have a good insulin response you can't keep up to your energy demands.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts