The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

I do think you definitely need to Eat to your Meter to see if you can add some safe starches back into your diet. I do very well with sweet potatoes, even sweet potato fries. I have also used resistant starch, Hi Maize in my cooking with good results. I also can eat those GG Brancrisps crackers with no spike. So we are all different. I usually don't have problems with beans as long as I limit to 1/2 cup. I cannot eat brown or white rice, though.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Ah the http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/6892-safe-starch-controversy.html! My favorite. :D

It's helpful to read the entire discussion

It's a LONG (but fun read). For anyone short of time here is the summary. If you are NOT diabetic, are NOT overweight and do NOT have metabolic problems, then Dr. Jaminet recommends eating around 100-150g of carbohydrates as long as they are from "safe starches", i.e. not from grains or legumes and instead are from items like yams, potato, squash, etc. Everyone gets their panties in a twist because the term "safe starch" is a poor one, implying things that Jaminet did not mean and applying it to people he never intended (e.g. diabetics). A fun internet food fight was enjoyed by all. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts