The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not diabetic, but I work in health care and see so many people with diabetes coming through the doors. I have a background in preventive health - studying how people make positive changes for their health, and I thought joining diabetesforum might help offer me some insight into people's struggles and successes. Thanks,
Elaine

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good idea, Elaine . . . you might find a few pearls of wisdom around here, eh? I think you're right. :)

One of the biggest obstacles faced by diabetic patients is the medical team that doesn't have a clue. Their knowledge is all "book-learnin'", and not being diabetic themselves, they can make some outrageous judgements/demands on unsuspecting patients who are trying to follow instructions to control BG - methods which don't work, have never worked, and which can do harm if continued for very long. Just being willing to keep an open mind would make such a difference in relationships with patients.

Thank you for joining us . . . I hope we are of some help to you.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not diabetic, but I work in health care and see so many people with diabetes coming through the doors. I have a background in preventive health - studying how people make positive changes for their health, and I thought joining diabetesforum might help offer me some insight into people's struggles and successes. Thanks,
Elaine
Hello and welcome to the forum! Reading posts should give you insight on what it is like to have diabetes. It is really helpful to have diabetes. Diabetes affects everyone differently. Read our stories and ask questions, we will try and answer your questions. Take care and visit often!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the welcomes...it's so true that translating what's written in textbooks to what works in practice is a huge leap. I've been reading some other threads and there's a ton of practical words here, I look forward to reading more.
Thanks again,
Elaine

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome. I am glad some professionals are finally trying to find out what works for diabetics. Far too many diabetics are told to keep their HbA1c's around 7 or above and given a higher carb diet. We are told that complications are inevitable and we need to take more and more meds and insulins. A lot of us on these forums have found the oppositie. By controlling the carbs we eat , losing weight and exercising daily many of us can achieve near normal bgs. I find education is the best thing a diabetic can do for themselves. My doctor and CDE gave me very little info about what diabetes really is and what it can do to your body if not controlled. I was initially told it was ok to be 180 after meals, now I know differently and try to keep it below 120 or lower most of the day. Glad you found us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.