The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I've been a diabetic for 20 years. I've got diabetes in the genes, and also some of my psyche meds cause diabetes. I'm taking injections and oral meds for type 2. Last A1C was 8.1. I'm looking for a new way to treat my diabetes seeing the insulin injections just make it difficult not to gain weight. I'm at 320 lb and gaining. I walk but get winded so easily.

My treatment for diabetes 2 is:

Pioglitazone 30mg/day
Victoza injection - 1.8mg/day
Tresiba injection - 160 units/day
Novolog 100 injection - 20 units per meal

·
Administrator
2,266 Posts
Welcome, blugrass!

It's good to see you're looking for a better way to manage your diabetes. We have to be our own advocates these days. I hope we can help.

Many of us here follow a low-carbohydrate eating plan. Despite what your diabetes educator or nutritionist may imply, carbohydrates are necessary components of the foods we eat, but not in the quantities many people eat them. Our bodies are typically capable of creating the glucose our bodies need from proteins and fats we eat. We don't need to eat so many foods with carbohydrates that we then need so much medication to counteract them. Several of us here have reduced the medications we take and many are managing our diabetes completely with low-carb eating and exercise. Is that something that would be of interest to you?

Do you have the medical resources to consider different kinds of exercise that might not be quite so hard on your body? I know people who enjoy water exercises because it's easier on their joints and having less pain and exertion makes it more likely they'll exercise so they can gain stamina and increase their metabolism. Could you tell us more about how you're exercising now and possible exercise options around you?

I hope you can take a look around at other forums on this site. There's a lot of information, as technical as you want to get it, and a lot of ideas for managing your blood glucose. Diabetes is something we get to deal with for the rest of our lives, but it doesn’t have to be as rough a road. Let us know how we can help you and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Hi blugrass, welcome to the forum.

I agree with itissteve that reducing carbs is the first step. Minimizing them is the second step. Carbs are the biggest source of what turns into blood sugar after we eat. Watch your BG as you reduce carbs because it may require reducing your meds. Talk to your medical team before starting to find out what med or meds to reduce or stop. Do you have your own blood glucose meter and test strips? A community health clinic may be able to assist if the cost of test strips is not affordable.

Look around the forum, there is a wealth of information here. Ask questions when you have them, we all learn something with each one.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Welcome, blugrass! I'm always happy to see a new face. This is a great place for encouragement, knowledge, and support. I hope you stick around and keep posting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts