The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Joyce.I was diagnosed as a Diabetic in 12/2009. I'm a EMT-Paramedic and now I'm on the other side of the world meaning teaching patients this stuff now I have to practice what I preach. I was currently put on a non carbohydrate diet for awhile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Joyce Welcome to the Other-side (Diabetics). At first it is a bit scary but once you get the hang of controlling your body, things are O.K. Enjoy finding new and healthy ways to eat and to pre-pair you own food. I use to be on metformin but about three years ago I stop taking any meds and just control it with eating and been more active. If there is any thing I can help with just give me a shout!
Pine

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Joyce . . . it's great to have you with us, and it's great to know you're preaching and practicing the same message! ;)

One of the biggest hurdles we face as diabetics is all the people in the medical community who don't have a clue, and unknowingly follow the erroneous admonitions of ADA and other pseudo-authoritative voices. So keep us posted on how the low/no carb diet works for you. Quite a few of us swear by it! :D

Thank you for joining us . . . do visit often!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum

i hope that you visit us regularly. This is by far, THE best place for us diabetics to talk freely and openly about whats going on with us.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as i feel that there are no "dumb" questions

You can do this, you can.

-Eric

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally love the Low carb diet. It is so easy to control my BG levels. I think if I followed what the Drs said i would be taken more meds... I would rather do with out then to double my drug intake

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
My name is Joyce.I was diagnosed as a Diabetic in 12/2009. I'm a EMT-Paramedic and now I'm on the other side of the world meaning teaching patients this stuff now I have to practice what I preach. I was currently put on a non carbohydrate diet for awhile.
Hi Joyce,

As Shanny says, it's no fun at first but with help and support, eating lower carb is no problem - and most important - it works.

I was diagnosed in August and I'm lucky - the wife is a great cook and fully supports the idea of a low carb diet (contrary to the French medical advice - who still push Low Fat). I've managed to stop using the medication and am holding my blood sugar at an average of 92 using diet alone.:)

You'll get lots of support and tips from the forum - just ask. Good luck.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts