The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normano here from Minneapolis. I have been trying to introduce myself several times--I think I finally figured it out.

I am 70--had a case of acute pancreatitis about a year ago and 1/3 of my pancreas died--I almost did as well. I always took milk thistle to protect my liver from heavy drinking---now I find that it stabilizes my blood sugar.

In any event I am type 1 take 35 units of Lantus and 6 units of Novalog daily. My 1AC was 5.8 and I check myself too muvh--6 to 8 times a day.

I still work as a property insurance broker--no heavy lifting required.

Thanks,
Normano

·
Registered
259 Posts
Normano here from Minneapolis. I have been trying to introduce myself several times--I think I finally figured it out.

I am 70--had a case of acute pancreatitis about a year ago and 1/3 of my pancreas died--I almost did as well. I always took milk thistle to protect my liver from heavy drinking---now I find that it stabilizes my blood sugar.

In any event I am type 1 take 35 units of Lantus and 6 units of Novalog daily. My 1AC was 5.8 and I check myself too muvh--6 to 8 times a day.

I still work as a property insurance broker--no heavy lifting required.

Thanks,
Normano
Welcome to the family...

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Normano, welcome to Diabetes Forum! You and I are the same age and we are both type 1 diabetics. We also have A1c's below 6.0. We are doing well!! There are others here who use milk thistle, it seems to be a good supplement.

I have been type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With good control we can have long, healthy lives.

Please ask all the questions you want. We are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richard--thanks for the welcome. I seem to be doing alright. It is nice to read about other peoples experience.

My son-in law is a a rather studious endrocrinologist---and when I discovered the positive effect milk thistle had, he looked at me sort of crossways. It was very interesting to find that other people had a similar positive exprience with it. I thought I was the first diebetic to discover it!

Normano

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
How do you use the milk thistle? Once per day? Does it make your insulin dosages smaller? What is your range for your blood sugar? I stay 70-130 about 90% of the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you use the milk thistle? Once per day? Does it make your insulin dosages smaller? What is your range for your blood sugar? I stay 70-130 about 90% of the time.

I woke up this morning with an 83. I went to bed with a 121. I hit a high of 158 after eating fruit and other good stuff.

I take 1000 mg in the morning and 1,000 at night. When I stopped taking it my morning readings were 110 and I didn't like that.

I see you have a pump. I imagein that is just set and forget?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I woke up this morning with an 83. I went to bed with a 121. I hit a high of 158 after eating fruit and other good stuff.

I take 1000 mg in the morning and 1,000 at night. When I stopped taking it my morning readings were 110 and I didn't like that.

I see you have a pump. I imagein that is just set and forget?
Not exactly...you set a basal rate that runs all the time (takes the place of basal or long acting insulin). You still have to bolus for meals though. You set the amount of carbs you are going to eat and your pump calculates how much insulin (based on your blood sugar and your I:C ratio) you need to cover your meal or snack and it boluses you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts