The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to introduce myself. I'm 51, mother of 3 with Type 2 diabetes. Was just diagnosed today. Prior to today I was pre-diabetic. I guess my 3 month check-up with an A1C of 7.8 was the reason my doctor changed my diagnosis. I'm here to learn what I can from everyone here so I can be healthy and get off the Metformin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it briefly a few months ago and hadn't had any issues. Hope I still am ok with it. I'm reading some (many?) people have side effects.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have never had side effects but my doctor put me on Extended Release Metformin. Most people who had side effects were on regular Metformin. Side effects are worse, I understand, if the person taking Metformin continues to eat high amounts of carbohydrates. It goes great with the HFLC way of life.

Reactions: Candy342

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Candy,

Welcome to the best diabetes forum on the net.

As you read the threads here you will find that most of the people here greatly reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat - low-carb (LC) and instead of eating a lot of protein, we greatly increase our fats - high-fat (HF). The LCHF way of eating (WOE) is our first and most important defense against diabetes and high blood sugar (BS) or blood glucose (BG).

If you want a really good education on diabetes, do some reading on Blood Sugar 101 and especially the section: "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar."

Visit here often and ask any questions you have.

PS: many of us who were diagnosed with early stages of diabetes have been able to completely control it through diet alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks VeeJay. I hope to control with just diet as soon as I can. I'm really new to this. Thanks for the reading recommendation Blood Sugar 101. Can you or anyone else tell me what a good number to be at after dinner? Last night I was at 310 two hours after. No clue yet if that is maybe higher than ideal or way too high?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Candy.

Once we get established on LCHF, we try to keep our blood sugar levels under 140 at all times, so yeah, 310 is way too high, and it prob'ly wasn't even the highest you went after that meal. We recommend testing ONE hour after meals, and then again at two hours to find if our levels are dropping as they should. We know doctors advise only the two-hour interval, but that is too late to alert you to dangerous spikes in your blood sugar.

There's a lot to learn & sometimes the learning curve gets pretty steep, but we've been through it, so we can help you navigate. Ask all the questions you have and make comments - rant & rave if you have to! We're here to help - lean on us.

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Hello Candy, welcome. There is some evidence that a BG >140 can start doing damage long term, so most of us target to never, ever go over 140 at any time.

Reactions: Candy342

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Last night I was at 310 two hours after. No clue yet if that is maybe higher than ideal or way too high?
What in the world did you eat? Definitely you cannot continue to eat starchy/carby foods. You will have to start looking up the carb grams of the food you eat and keep the number way down - start with 50g per DAY (15-17g carbs a meal) and see how that works, and then you may have to reduce further if your BG goes above 140 after a meal.

You may be interested in looking through the meal threads in the Diet & Nutrition sub-Forum: "What was your .... breakfast.... lunch... dinner?" to get an idea of what LCHF looks like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I barely ate. I had a small piece of pork tenderloin that was breaded, couple sips of chicken broth and 3 bites of rice pudding. I think I've been running high and not knowing it. My doctor just diagnosed me today. I will read and learn from everyone and get my numbers down!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget I'm not on medicine so things are not under control. I start the Metformin tomorrow.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Metformin is a good drug, but what you eat will have a greater effect controlling your diabetes than metformin ever will. The breading on the pork would spike you and so would the rice pudding, since it contains not only rice, but sugar. And the kicker is, when we skip meals or don't eat enough, we go high anyway, because if our blood sugar drops below its usual level, our liver takes over and remedies the lack of food by converting stored glycogen into glucose and then dripping it into our bloodstream. Diabetes gets us coming and going. :(

Metformin is not a license to eat carbs, and it will do its job much more efficiently if you reduce your carb intake significantly.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Candy, I had you confused with another new member who was running lower numbers than that. I guess I didn't realize you came here with such high numbers already.

Are you eating so little because of the high BG and you are afraid to eat anything? If so, let me reassure you that you don't have to starve yourself to lower BG. You just have to eat a different way.

Carbs raise BG, so drop all the starchy foods (breads, potatoes, grains, etc.)

Fats do not raise BG, so you can fill up with these (butter, cream, bacon, avocados, olive oil.... there's lots you can have).

Protein can be problematic for diabetics if one eats a lot of it - so keep protein to a moderate level.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Candy! Hope you get all your questions answered here, although we're not doctors, we do face the condition on a daily basis. VeeJay is right...it is the best diabetes forum on the internet : )

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good luck on your D journey Candy. Now the education really starts - by testing before you eat then one hr after your first bite and 2 hrs after your first bite you will know how your body is processing what you are eating. When I found this forum a few months ago I read the term "carb intolerant" or "allergic to carbs" and worked from there. It made sense - why eat what my body can't process? So out went bread, cereal, pasta, rice and potatoes as well as sugar and fruit. In went more eggs, fatty cuts of meat, double cream, butter and full fat Greek yoghurt. With help from a low dose of Met XR (my gut would not tolerate it) my BG levels started coming down instantly. It has given me some control over the D. Weight loss has been an added bonus!

It wasn't easy - it takes willpower and dedication, but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Candy, did you wash your hands and retest? One time my meter actually said HI (over 600), which I knew couldn't be right. After I washed my hands and retested, it was what I expected it to be. Sometimes we get something sugary on our fingers and don't realize it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts