The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there my name is Eric. I am 20 years old and have been diabetic for 10 years now. I have an insulin pump. I must say right away that this site is very nice for people to look at when they have questions or concerns. As I did. Lately I have been keeping a very close eye on my diabetes, before I was not the greatest diabetic growing up. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep your self on a regular schedule on keeping track? Growing up I was great. Always in the zone for blood sugars, then middle school and high school hit and all I wanted was to fit in and never cared is some what how you could put it. I wanna get back on track, and over the last couple weeks I have. Still having spikes every now and then. Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Eric

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Eric - glad you joined us.

I can't relate to having diabetes at your age since I'm at T2 diagnosed later in life. But, you have a good foundation from your youth, and I admire you for paying attention and wanting to get back on track.

There are a lot of T1s here as well and they'll be along shortly.

Thanks for pulling up a chair and introducing yourself ;)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hey Eric and :welcome: to the forums!

Other Type I's will join in and say 'Hi' I'm sure - we've got quite a few here. I'm a Type II myself, but if your having problems getting sugar under control, whether Type I or II, it's important to reduce carbohydrate - not just adjust bolus for it.

As a Type I you can eat more carbs than us Type II's (usually, unless you've developed insulin-resistance - then you need to adjust carbohydrate intake to compensate) but even then, most of the Type I's with good lifelong control eat fairly low-carb.

The Type I's on the forum offer their advice and wisdom readily - I'm sure they'll be posting in the thread soon.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If I was a young person like yourself, and I could afford it, I would have a phone that I could download a diabetic app that would allow me to enter my BG on it. What a neat way to keep track of things IMHO.

You need to be proud of yourself for trying to get back on track. Being a young person in todays hectic world isn't easy. I can understand you wanted to fit in as my two sons also felt that way and they aren't diabetic.

We're glad you stopped by and hope you will feel welcome to hang out here anytime. How long have you been using an insulin pump, and what kind of pump do you have (if you don't mind me asking)? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a medtronic minimed. It has the "bolus wizard" which is alot like your phone idea it asks what im BGs are and how many carbs I will be eating then it gives me a totally. It work wonders. I used to always be crabby and depressed and more upset with my self. I live life now with a joy. I got the insulin pump 8 years ago. 2 years being diagnosed. And I see people on here saying they think the pump is for people with high bloods. Wroongo. I had to work my but off for this I was only 12 when I got it. And it was always being in the zone.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Since you have a Minimed pump maybe you could share with us which one you have. The good thing is Minimed has the care link for there pumps. If you are not using it you should consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts