The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My name is Peter and I have just joined this forum to gain information on my type ii diabetes. I have to admit that I have just coasted along with my diagnosis and over time have ignored most of the warnings from my doctor etc. I really need to get a handle on diet and foods that I need to avoid and those that will benefit from. What I suppose I initially is a diet plan and associated recipes to start me off and then begin to monitor my levels. Now where to start?

Peter

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Peter, are you a Type 1 or a Type 2 and what meds or insulins are you on? You will find lots of different diabetes diets out there. A lot depends on how much pancreatic function you have and where you want your bgs. My goal for my bgs is to be as close to normal (85) as possible, so I choose to eat low carb. Others may be less insulin resistant and choose to eat more carbs. I try to limit my meals to 15-20 carbs with a significant amount of fat and small amount of protein. This is what works for me. Use your bg meter , 2 hours after meals to find out what level of carbs keeps you 120-140 or below. Check out our recipe forum, lots of great recipes. Another great website is Linda's Low Carb
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Additional info

Type 2 diabetic. Currently no medication though I have been warned for the last time by my gp. Thanks for the advice. I will look into your suggestions.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to DF, Peter . . . and I think if I were you, I'd start monitoring my levels immediately. By using the system described by jwags, you'll be able to quickly eliminate the worst offending foods & begin bringing those levels down just as quickly.

I am type II also, and have managed so far on metformin only, and a pretty strict low-carb way-of-eating. The biggest hurdle is often getting shed of the notion that low-carb eating requires sacrifice. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's sure no sacrifice for me to eat sausage & eggs for breakfast, and tonight my dinner was a large beef/bean burrito smothered with cheese, salsa, sour cream & guacamole! Doesn't get much better than that! heheh! :D

Thank you for joining us. I hope we can help you turn the page to controlling your diabetes & making a new healthy start!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to DF, Peter . . . and I think if I were you, I'd start monitoring my levels immediately. By using the system described by jwags, you'll be able to quickly eliminate the worst offending foods & begin bringing those levels down just as quickly.

I am type II also, and have managed so far on metformin only, and a pretty strict low-carb way-of-eating. The biggest hurdle is often getting shed of the notion that low-carb eating requires sacrifice. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's sure no sacrifice for me to eat sausage & eggs for breakfast, and tonight my dinner was a large beef/bean burrito smothered with cheese, salsa, sour cream & guacamole! Doesn't get much better than that! heheh! :D

Thank you for joining us. I hope we can help you turn the page to controlling your diabetes & making a new healthy start!
Many thanks mate for the advice. I will get there it is just a little daunting as to where to start.

·
Registered
203 Posts
G'Day Mate!

Welcome from Southern California :D

I hope you come to love this forum as much as I do. It is chock full of resources, people who have been there and done that, and support.

This can become you cyber support group, and it will provide an answer to things that you may not be able to find anywhere else because you will be talking with folks that have tons of experience dealing with diabetes.

So enjoy, and best wishes as you learn to live, adapt and adjust to having diabetes!

Pastor Paul :D

G

·
welcome Peter :) this forum is a great place for support, etc. I hope you have a good medical team behind you. Have you seen an endocrinologist recently? It's a good idea to start reviewing your diet and "eat to your meter". All of us with diabetes are a bit different... so what works well for one, may not work so well for another. I've been type 2 for over 12 years now and I can't say it's all been a smooth ride. I'm now on full time insulin due to pancreas now no longer producing enough insulin for what I need. But docs tried keeping me on oral meds for so long... I probably should've been on insulin a few years back, not just a year ago. Diabetes is a progressive disease... although it's up to us to do our best to keep our BGLs controlled. Sometimes despite our best efforts we see BGL readings we don't like... but we just have to keep on with doing the best we can... seeking advice, etc. There's more than just diet and exercise that affects BGLs... other factors include illness, stress, lack of sleep, etc. It's all such a science. Try and live a balanced life basically. Keep us posted on how you go. I'm familiar with Melbourne a little too as I have 2 great aunts and their families that live there... one of my fav Aust cities to visit.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi
My name is Peter and I have just joined this forum to gain information on my type ii diabetes. I have to admit that I have just coasted along with my diagnosis and over time have ignored most of the warnings from my doctor etc. I really need to get a handle on diet and foods that I need to avoid and those that will benefit from. What I suppose I initially is a diet plan and associated recipes to start me off and then begin to monitor my levels. Now where to start?

Peter
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information on here so read what interests you. If you can't find what you are looking for, do a search. I hope that you have the time to visit often and take care! :welcome:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Howdy Peter, and :welcome: from me too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts