The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 56, married to a great guy, and have two grown sons. I own my own business and work approximately 70 - 80 hours per week.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 in late 2009 and started taking insulin in March 2010. The diabetes is most likely the result of having half of my pancreas removed in a Whipple in 1999. I lost both parents to pancreatic cancer and a tumor was found on my pancreas in a baseline CT scan. The tumor turned out to be a benign cyst... possibly pre-cancerous. I did okay for the first few years after the Whipple but then started having hypoglycemic attacks whenever I failed to have balanced protein/carb meals. Gradually, I started having higher and higher blood glucose levels and then became fully diabetic after 10 years.

I'm here to learn more about managing my diabetes from other members' experiences. I don't particularly like my current endocrinologist.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Hi Sandy - welcome to the forum. Sorry for the loss of your parents to pancreatic cancer - you went through quite a scare with yours I'm sure, and glad you came out the other side w/ only diabetes!

Very glad you found us. What is your control like now, i.e. your numbers?

I don't particularly like my current endocrinologist.
We have another member - rudeboysti - who lives in the Phoenix area and has had two terrible endocrinologists. If that's where you live in Arizona, you two should compare notes/endos to avoid via PM as you both search for a good one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind welcome!

My numbers aren't great. My morning level is fine... but I have trouble during the day. Seems like I'm either at 300 or at 40. Ugh. But I promised the doc I would start exercising. The pool is finally warm so I'll start swimming every day. My arthritic knees don't handle walking at all.

It was a tough time with the cancer scare. But you never have to look very far to feel blessed for the health you do have... and for my wonderful supportive family. I try to always see things that way.

I will definitely contact rudeboysti about Phx endocrinologists. I think it's time I tried someone else. I had to wait 3 and a half months to get my first appointment with this one. So, I really should research and then make my next appointment now with someone else. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you'e had quite a difficult history. When you say your morning numbers are fine, how do you define fine? Also, what sort of 'diet' do you use for your way of eating?

So glad you found us and happy to have you amongst us!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Make sure you test after exercising, it seems to do different things to different people's blood sugars! In fact, testing a lot is the way to go, if you possibly can. Welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I will do that. I was only testing twice a day for about a year but then, in the past few months, I switched to four times a day. That's been a good thing to do because I really can't tell by how I feel if I'm at 70 or 300... I feel the same.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Sandy, welcome! A good endo can be very helpful, I hope you find one. You need to do something to stabilize your numbers so they will stay below 200 and above 60. I try and keep mine in the range 70-130 as much as possible, but I have been type 1 for 66 years, so I have had lots of practice. :)

Once you are adjusted and have better control, you will have much less chance of experiencing diabetes complications. After 66 years of type 1, I am doing very well. You can too! Keep on learning, ask questions, and look for appropriate information here, and elsewhere.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much, Richard!

I've already learned more here today, reading a lot of the posts, than I've learned from my doctor in 2+ years! Thanks to everyone for sharing such good info!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hi Sandy welcome to the forum! I am assuming since you are T1 that you are on the basal/bolus method? Or maybe not.

Would help to know what your diet is like? Insulin to carb ratios? Correction factor?

I am on a pump as of January, but did do multiple injections of Lantus and Humalog prior to that. Even when doing injections I had to test 7 times a day. That much testing will help with the extreme highs and lows.

Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable. This is a very friendly albeit nosey bunch. A good nosey though. They have been a hugh factor in helping me gain good control.

I have been T1 since late 2011 probably longer just misdiagnosed. Welcome :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts