The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Foxy. I was diagnosed two years ago with the type two. Am overweight which I am constantly reminded of by my G.P. much to my great dissappointment as I am very sensitive about this and have been on (and off) diets since my early teens. Have been quite active for the best part of my life with gardening, including an allotment, badminton and linedancing, until a few years ago when my back became very bad - being spinabifida. So at the moment I am very dissallusioned and am finding it difficult to get interested in anything, so taking any notice of my dietary restrictions is the last thing I'm interested in! Yes, I know! Not agood thing to do! I do test my blood every so often and at the most it's around 6.7 so I don't think that's too bad.:madgrin::lalala:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Foxy, welcome aboard! I love that smiley at the end of your post. Is it telling me that any advice I give will be wasted time on my part??? LOL!

Some diabetics can go for a long period of time with blood sugars at 6.7, or less, and have no problems. Others can have many problems at that level and have to apply very tight control to reverse them. I test about 12 tumes per day so that I cah catch highs and lows before they become a real problem. I eat 130g of carbs per day and exercise/work out at least one hour per day. I keep records of all my carbs, exercise, blood sugar tests and insulin dosages. This routine keeps my A1c's below 6.0 (the nondiabetic range) and has enabled me to live a long, healthy life with my diabetes. I have been a diabetic for 64 years and I have no complications. I am not meaning to brag, I just want to say that my tight control has had good results. Maybe you do not need control that is that tight. Some modifications, just a little at a time, might be very productive. Take small steps and adjust as you go. It becomes a part of you daily routine and you will be very glad that you made those changes.

There now, I am through. Are you still holding your ears and whistling? LOL!

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard.

Hello Foxy, welcome aboard! I love that smiley at the end of your post. Is it telling me that any advice I give will be wasted time on my part??? LOL!

Some diabetics can go for a long period of time with blood sugars at 6.7, or less, and have no problems. Others can have many problems at that level and have to apply very tight control to reverse them. I test about 12 tumes per day so that I cah catch highs and lows before they become a real problem. I eat 130g of carbs per day and exercise/work out at least one hour per day. I keep records of all my carbs, exercise, blood sugar tests and insulin dosages. This routine keeps my A1c's below 6.0 (the nondiabetic range) and has enabled me to live a long, healthy life with my diabetes. I have been a diabetic for 64 years and I have no complications. I am not meaning to brag, I just want to say that my tight control has had good results. Maybe you do not need control that is that tight. Some modifications, just a little at a time, might be very productive. Take small steps and adjust as you go. It becomes a part of you daily routine and you will be very glad that you made those changes.

There now, I am through. Are you still holding your ears and whistling? LOL!

Richard
Thankyou so much for your info. I didn't mean to seem so offensive, it's just that I get so fed up with constantly being reminded that I'm overweight. I've battled with this since my very young days - starting with my older sister who was like a beanpole in those days -teasing me mercilessly every day!
No, I'm not having to take any medication, it is just dietary controlled - and there lies the bugbear. I constantly check my diet to try to lose weight and use the OLD Weight Watcher's eating plan which means weighing everything. For example - 3/4ounce of bread is one serving and I'm allowed three servings per day. So then having to read about all these other things which are absolutely foreign to me is just too much! I can't get my head round it.
As for the blood checks, my nurse/doctor doesn't want anyone in my category doing these checks so I have to buy the equipment myself.
However, at least I have logged on to this site in an effort to jolt myself into reality. My sister who has been diabetic for some 10years now, has been trying too, without much success, I'm afraid.
Well, onwards and upwards?:fencing::confused:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The Relion meter at Walmart costs about $9 and a box of 50 strips about $21. That is less than half the price of name brand strips. It is a very good meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts