The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So glad I found this site. I have been type 2 with no one to talk to, share with or learn from. Hoping to get my life and my condition under control.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm glad you found us too! :wave:

Tell us more about yourself . . . how long since your diagnosis? What meds are you on? What is your way-of-eating? We're very chatty and nosey! lol!

Take care and visit us often. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Talking, sharing and learning R Us :)

How long have you had diabetes? I've not had it long via the calendar, but in every other way it seems like a lifetime. I sometimes wonder - did I actually used to have a pizza and a beer without thinking about it? And did I actually think life would end if I couldn't do that?

Funny how quickly things can change, and how much easier it can be to make changes than we ever could've imagined.

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to learning more about your own journey with diabetes.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine

Reactions: naynay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have been diabetic for about four years. I am type 2 on Metformin and Januvia. Really struggling with putting myself first, excercising and with controlling my diet. I have a husband who is ill and does not participate in his care, two kids in college and a killer 7 day a week job. I don't know anyone that had diabetes and can not share ideas and tips.

My first goal is to try to contol my morning, fasting sugar. I am currently averaging 140.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, lavacrete. I know that some of our members have mentioned some tricks they do to get those fasting numbers down. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they are, but I'm sure someone will happen along who does. Many of these folks are Diabetes Encyclopedias, so you can get some very sound advice here.

I'm sorry to hear that your husband is ill. Is he able to work? I can't imagine having to work 7 days a week, it must be hellacious for you, no wonder you can't find time for yourself. We're here to give you moral support, wish we could do more.

Welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It sounds like your plate is overflowing, and managing diabetes in the midst of it can't be easy.

You have meds - and the obvious next question is about your diet. It can be the simplest and quickest route to bringing numbers down, though certainly everyone doesn't get the same results. I got very lucky - changing my diet, cutting out most carbs, and the maximum dose of metformin, saw my numbers plummet. I did have another med (glipizide) for a month but was able to get off that one.

If you tell us what your diet is like, we might be able to suggest some changes to see if that makes a difference in your fasting numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts