The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hellooooooooo! :) You can call me Sam or Sammy. I am currently in college pursuing a bachelor's degree in criminology and sociology. I've been living with type 1 diabetes since Halloween of 2007. When I was first diagnosed, my endo believed that I had type 2 diabetes and not type 1. He put me on Glumetza(?) and a week later I was in DKA. Needless to say, it was confirmed that I have type 1 diabetes through this as well as a C-peptide test. Currently I am taking insulin injections but I plan to get on the Accu-Chek Combo.(if the ever freaking send it to me!) I've had a lot of problems throughout my life that have caused me to not take very good care of myself. Although I've had this disease for 8 years, I am just beginning to get control of it with the help of my wonderful boyfriend. THANKS FOR READING :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Welcome to the LADA club! Treated as type 2 until almost died then finally someone was smart enough to do a GAD test and all is well. Starting on insulin had ups and downs for me and it wasn't until I ate the exact same way as I did as a type 2 to control it through diet. I had at least a little better advise than some and was to eat 15C per meal but that was still WAY to many for me to get stable numbers. Part of the reason for the 15g advise was because I needed to gain weight. I was skin and bones literally. Almost died from starvation regardless of the huge amount of food I was eating. However today the ONLY way for me to keep low steady numbers is VLCHF and moderate protein. My insulin doses went from 8-12 per meal to 1 and 2-3 lantus. Lots of lows lowering C and needing less insulin. I do not fear the lows anymore and I do not chase BS with insulin or insulin with food. I have very steady healthy non diabetic numbers. I eat less than 20 c a DAY and all in the form of green veggies. I eat avocado, nuts, mayo and olive oil as my main fats. I eat 80% fat, 15 P and 5C. You can't go wrong with this combo of mcros as a 1 or 2.

Others will be along to give you great links to read. Glad you found us!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome Smith

You've come to a good place to not only get help with your control, but lots of positive strokes and encouragement. Many of us visit here daily, myself included, because it keeps the need to maintain control up front in my thinking and daily planning.

A couple sites we like to direct newcomers to are

www.bloodsugar101.com - a comprehensive discussion of all aspects of diabetes. The author is a researcher and sites her resources. We have come to trust what she presents. One of the sections, "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar", is the testing protocol we endorse and encourage all diabetics to follow. On the forum we call it "Eat To Your Meter".

A very good way of eating that keeps blood sugar low and stable, and for those on insulin, allows for much less needed, which makes lows not so low and highs not so high, and corrections minimal is Low-Carb/High-Fat (LCHF). A good overview of this way of eating is at LCHF for Beginners – the Low Carb, High Fat Diet

Then, if you should want to try LCHF for yourself, visit our Diet section to see what we are eating on this, and the recipe section for individual recopies. We most certainly are not deprived. In fact... we can have BACON without an ounce of guilt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts