The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this site. I've found it to be very helpful. My 9 year old daugther was diagnosed in October with type 1 diabetes. This came as a total shock to us. One weekend she woke up just totally out of it, so we took her to the emegency room and next thing we know she was being transferred to another hospital that specializes in diabetes. She was in ICU for 2 days her sugar level was over 380 when she was admitted to the emergency room. She stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I had to get a crash course in carb counting and insulin injections and everything else that comes along with diabetes. It's been a very long and sometimes frustrating process but what can I say it's the hand that was dealt us. I just know that we will do whatever necessary to make sure that she is healthy & that diabetes will not hinder her in any way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,
Lolo is actually her nickname, when she was a baby her brother would call her lolo and it stayed that way. Julissa is her given name. She is coping just fine, it amazes me how she has taken the initiative to take care of herself. She checks her blood sugar several times a day, she has learned to draw & inject her insulin by herself. I'm just very grateful that she wants to learn how to handle her diabetes. She's a trooper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.