The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!
My name is Tanya, and I am very newly diagnosed with Type 2 - have been on a low dose of Glyburide for about a month now. Most of the time, with a huge change in diet over the past several months, I can keep my numbers under 140; what a thrill it is for me when I get it under 100! My wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes early in pregnancy (our baby girl is scheduled to arrive on 11/1/11), and started off on Glyburide but progressed to insulin shots a few weeks ago. Fortunately, her diabetes will likely go away once she has delivered, but mine, probably will not. But we have changed our whole way of living, eating, drinking...everything. I still REALLY struggle with diet and carbs, especially living in Texas where we love our Tex-Mex! I constantly search for and create healthy new dishes, and I have a food blog (which I haven't updated in a while since dealing with all of these changes).

Just trying to get the hang of all of this... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'm newly diagnosed as well and I know it's a struggle and very frustrating at times, but I've already started to see an improvement and we keep on fighting it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It seems like you have figured out how to keep those bgs in a good range. It is not always easy, but it is well worth the excitement when you see those numbers close to 100. As far as eating Tex-Mex you don't need to give it up because you are diabetic. I make a killer Tamale pie but I top it with a coconut flour/cheese topping instead of the tradional cornmeal. There are also low carb tortialls out there that you can use for your enchiladas and tacos. We eat a lot of Taco salad and stuffed jalopenos in our house. Of course we do eat a lot of chilli, I just use 1/2 meat and 1/2 black beans and pinto beans and adds tons of veggies. Of course the cheese and sour cream and guacomole on top don't hurt. I also make my own natcho chips using almond flour and monterry jack cheese. So eating healthy does not have to be boring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts