The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor continues to get upset about my blood sugar readings when I get down to 80

I keep telling her , those readings are after a good 15 hrs since I last ate anything

I only eat once every 24hrs

She has had me taking 4mg of glimepiride

So because of my continuing blood sugar's of 80
She has now cut my glimepiride down to 2mg

My doctor now wants my blood sugar readings to stay between 100 to 150 at all times
It sure makes it hard to cheat now

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
My doctor now wants my blood sugar readings to stay between 100 to 150 at all times
I've run into a few doctors who believe that keeping blood glucose that high provides a higher cushion against lows. At least a 150 is pretty close to the 140 that some recent studies have shown is where organ damage starts. I know at least one GP (not my doctor) who thinks 7.0 is as low as A1c should go....

ETA I see mbuster has posted some usual info; I took too long to write my post (watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs)

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
A 70 is what is considered low by the ADA and most doctors. Like itissteve said, it does provide a cushion against getting dangerously low. Dangerously low for most people is about half of that. IF my doctor told me he wanted to keep my BG above 80, I'd just smile and nod my head.

Severe Hypoglycemia
What is severe hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia can be mild, moderate, or severe based on the person’s blood glucose and condition. Here are the levels:
  • Level 1 (mild) hypoglycemia: Blood glucose is less than 70 mg/dL but is 54 mg/dL or higher.
  • Level 2 (moderate) hypoglycemia: Blood glucose is less than 54 mg/dL.
  • Level 3 (severe) hypoglycemia: A person is unable to function because of mental or physical changes. They need help from another person. In this case, blood glucose is often below 40mg/dL.
Not to say it's OK to go below 70, because many people who do may continue to drop further if they do not do something to stop the drop. It is most likely to happen to those who take insulin or take blood sugar lowering meds, like your glimepiride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glimepiride is what I take

I am switching to st lukes endocrinology clinic

Being , I am not sure if my doctor knows what she's doing with my diabetes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts