Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Is anyone here eating a high protein low carb diet?

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Frankp877 
#1 ·
I have had success these last few months focusing on a higher protein diet, coupled with low carb intake. Lost 25 pounds (very slowly) and brought my A1c down markedly over 6 months. I aim for 80 - 100 grams of good protein daily, and try to keep carbs under 30 grams. I don't worry too much about fat but don't go out of my way to add fats to my diet. I used to eat the more typical high fat, medium protein,low carb keto diet, but it seems to have failed me of late. Maybe my metabolism has changed over the years, I dunno.

The higher protein really helps with healing, I have found. My dentist remarked on the improvement in my oral health, especially my gums, between my visit in April and the one in October. I had zero bruising from a recent biopsy and fingers are crossed that it allows me to heal rapidly and well from next week's lumpectomy.

So, what kind of program are y'all following?

#2 ·
I do pretty good when I stick to eating keto, but I sometimes (more than I would like to admit) eat something I shouldn't or more of something than I should. I am doing an inconsistent intermittent fasting. I only have bullet proof coffee in the morning, some days (used to be most) I skip lunch and only eat supper. When I do lunch it is usually fried deli sliced bologna on low carb wrap and pork rinds, scooping into homemade pimento cheese or a store bought cream cheese dip.

I really need to get back on track. I have been thinking about going more carnivore (increased protein). I guess I should start counting/measuring grams again. I may try a week of meats/animal products only just to see what happens. Maybe it will keep from bruising and help with healing from bumping my shins on stuff all the time.

#3 ·
I'm trying to stick to the "traditional" keto 70% fat/25% protein/5% carbs formula. But I'll admit that snacking usually involves more protein than fats and that when I'm stuck somewhere where there isn't much keto-friendly food to eat, I often eat an amount of protein that's out of whack with the goals (dry salad with a big chunk of boneless/skinless/tasteless chicken breast).

I've spent some time on reddit's keto forum (well; did, the doctrinaire reddit approach to life, the universe, and everything turned me off); they treat high protein like it doesn't matter for anyone. That has not been my experience. But bodies are different -- sometimes even our own after other medical/biological issues arise. If higher protein works for you, by all means, do it.

#4 ·
I agree, there is no one approach for everyone. Ten years ago I might've thought so about the high fat/medium pro/low carb keto diet, but I'm trying to be older and wiser now. 😉 It is sometimes hard to get that much protein in, as I only eat 2 meals a day (intermittent fasting), but I do find that more protein does keep me feeling quite full and so I don't reach for snacks. Some days I am entirely carnivore, but I don't deliberately set out to do that. I also exercise daily and getting adequate protein for muscle repair feels like an important thing to do. Whether the higher protein diet will continue to work for me is up for grabs. Every day is different!

I've never really paid much attention to reddit. My son likes it but I don't. Good thing there are plenty of other sites out there to visit!

#8 ·
I agree, it is difficult! So many carbs are comfort food, and when one is diabetic and miserable, the instinct is to turn to comfort foods. Advertising and convenience and then the holidays - it's all so hard to stay on the path. My sympathies on your struggle. This is why I focus on protein - it keeps me full so it's a little easier to kick the carbs to the curb.

Do you have any 'tricks' you use that might help?

#6 ·
When first told I was pre diabetic, the diabetes educator told instructed that I should have 30-50 grams of carbs per meal. I tried that for about a week and saw my BG stay high and sometime much higher than I was used to. I read about Keto and gave it a try. That was a year, 44 pounds and an AIC of 6.9 ago and I have to say I haven't felt this good in years. AIC is now 5.2
Not an easy thing to do as I was a bread aholic and love potatoes in any form but have found alternatives for both.
I normally eat only twice a day, late breakfast around 9 am , maybe yogurt around 1 pm then dinner at 5 pm. Keep the carb count to less than 25 per day with the majority of those being from vegetables.
I do miss some foods, but seeing the benefit of refraining them is definitely worth it.

#9 ·
I read about Keto and gave it a try. That was a year, 44 pounds and an AIC of 6.9 ago and I have to say I haven't felt this good in years. AIC is now 5.2
A very inspiring story, Frank. Thanks for letting us know how effective it has been, and kudos to you for your discipline. It takes a LOT of work and discipline to achieve that kind of success.

What are your substitutes for bread and potatoes? Got any recipes to share?

#10 ·
Congrats Frank, I'm glad keto is working so well for you. I found I had very similar results as you have had. I especially agree with your last statement. I love banana pudding, I love my toes more is the perspective I try to remember when temptation hits really hard.

#11 ·
Old thread, but here I go.

I tried keto, and it works for me, but it is not a lifestyle I personally can sustain for more than 3 months. Worse, it does nothing good for my cholesterol. I am now trying to eat both low carb and low fat, at least low saturated fat. It is not easy. I found that sugar free Coffeemate or BJ’s Light cream are both very low in both carbs and saturated fat, so I use those instead of cream or milk. Aunt Millie’s carb smart white bread is the best low carb bread I have found. Jimmy Dean’s breakfast bowls run about 20-22 carbs, and are fat heavy, but it varies by bowl. I can’t do the Meat eaters or Bacon or Sausage, but the others keep me happy until 2PM without being so greasy it upsets my tummy.

I can eat 2 slices of most thin-crust pizza for supper without spiking horribly.

Am on metformim, not ER, and Victoza. Steady as a rock for almost a decade now. Had a few bad years where I struggled.

#12 ·
Low carb and low fat is tough, not least for getting in calories and not feeling hungry all day. Glad you've got it working for you.

One thing I will note is that cholesterol levels do test higher on individuals eating keto because cholesterol is carrying some of the energy cells need and it is present in higher amounts in the blood. However, more studies are showing that predicting future cardiac issues based only on LDL levels is not very accurate. HDL and triglyceride levels must be considered for the most accurate picture.

Not trying to talk you out of what works for you, cathyy, but I have seen lots of posts in other keto-eating/diabetes forums in which posters mention doctors working solely off LDL levels in managing the risk of disease.

#13 ·
I wish he was just relying on the LDL numbers, because then I could discount it. But he is not. The familial history of heart disease, terrible VLDL, not very good HDL, questionable triglycerides….

• Sad
Reactions: itissteve
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.