The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious--I've been doing lots of research online and I hear that Biotin can not only help with blood-sugar, but also help with hairloss because it is a hair/nail supplement. Is anyone using Biotin regularly, how many mcg or mg, and did you notice a difference

Highest I can seem to find is 35-40 mcg tablets, which doesn't seem like a lot :(

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I take massive (10,000mcg) daily dose. Never noticed an effect on BGLs, one way or the other, but then I'd never heard before that biotin is supposed to have that quality.

It has helped slow down my loss, in any case. I find I must take the stuff daily, without fail, and it does take a few weeks for any effect to make itself known.

That said, unfortunately there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution to hair loss.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
My experience is similar. I don't take it any longer but when I did, I noticed that I stopped losing hair. Also, I never noticed any impact on my blood sugar level either way.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It actually should not make a difference to BG control. The diabetes connection is that biotin is a "participant" coenzyme, in gluconeogenesis -- the production of glucose from protein. So it gets used up more quickly in diabetics.

As regards hair, well, I will let you know ... I am on day 3.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Forgot to add ... the only place I can find huge doses of Biotin is in vitamin stores, and some health-food stores. Online is probably the easiest option.

Reactions: foxl and Mary

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
If you take ALA, it is supposed to deplete biotin, that why I take it.

>didn't notice an effect on BG, went to 10,000 mcg

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You have probably already tried changing shampoos, but in case you haven't, my 16 year old granddaughter was losing hair like crazy so I Googled to find out if others who use her brand of shampoo were having the same problem, and they were. She switched shampoos and that solved her problem. Hope you find the solution soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts