The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I'm diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have recently subscribed to Gold's Gym in order to try and get in shape after quitting smoking for around four weeks now, and after doing the body composition test, it turns out I have more body fat than I do muscle mass, around 16% and 19%, which worries me.

The coach said that I need to burn the body fat and replace it with muscle mass, since at my age, the muscle mass percentage must be higher.

Since I recently quit smoking and I have not been exercising for around a year or so now, my performance is bad compared to a lot of people I know. It's mainly because I haven't been doing much and also because I barely eat any proteins because I don't like meat OR chicken, except for maybe kebob and stake which I don't eat a lot. Fish is a good source of protein and I like it, but we only eat it once a week so that's not enough.

That is why I went and bought a supplement that has 0 carbs, 0 sugars, 0 fats, but gives you essential and non-essential proteins so I can build muscle and burn fat quicker. Cardio combined with weight lifting, vitamin pills, and the supplement, I believe everything is going to get better soon.

I am sorry for making it long, but I have a question. Since I don't really manage my food that well and I noticed that my weight usually stays the same even after days of working out (76kilograms), I thought I should add a fat burner into the mix till I reach the ideal weight (which is 67 kilograms) and then try and stabilize rather than gain or lose weight. However, the best fat burner out there contains A LOT of caffeine. After doing some research, I found out that it's bad for diabetic people and raises glucose levels:

My question is, is caffeine really that bad or can it be controlled like carbohydrates can be by taking a certain amount of insulin units? It says that 2-liqui caps = 200mg, I believe, so is that really high or normal?

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
930 Posts
just my personal opservation

I know nothing about type 1 but for type 2 caffeine can cause adrenal exhaustion leaving a type 2 with a strange fatigue syndrome where they are tired and have no pep. This is just the opposite effect that a caffeine user is seeking. Also can cause difficulty falling asleep at night.

ColaJim

Hello there,

I'm diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have recently subscribed to Gold's Gym in order to try and get in shape after quitting smoking for around four weeks now, and after doing the body composition test, it turns out I have more body fat than I do muscle mass, around 16% and 19%, which worries me.

The coach said that I need to burn the body fat and replace it with muscle mass, since at my age, the muscle mass percentage must be higher.

Since I recently quit smoking and I have not been exercising for around a year or so now, my performance is bad compared to a lot of people I know. It's mainly because I haven't been doing much and also because I barely eat any proteins because I don't like meat OR chicken, except for maybe kebob and stake which I don't eat a lot. Fish is a good source of protein and I like it, but we only eat it once a week so that's not enough.

That is why I went and bought a supplement that has 0 carbs, 0 sugars, 0 fats, but gives you essential and non-essential proteins so I can build muscle and burn fat quicker. Cardio combined with weight lifting, vitamin pills, and the supplement, I believe everything is going to get better soon.

I am sorry for making it long, but I have a question. Since I don't really manage my food that well and I noticed that my weight usually stays the same even after days of working out (76kilograms), I thought I should add a fat burner into the mix till I reach the ideal weight (which is 67 kilograms) and then try and stabilize rather than gain or lose weight. However, the best fat burner out there contains A LOT of caffeine. After doing some research, I found out that it's bad for diabetic people and raises glucose levels:

My question is, is caffeine really that bad or can it be controlled like carbohydrates can be by taking a certain amount of insulin units? It says that 2-liqui caps = 200mg, I believe, so is that really high or normal?

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct. Caffeine makes you not be able to sleep; however, that means it gives you a lot of energy and increases your metabolism, as I've heard, rather than make you tired and have no pep. Its side effects seem to outweigh its gains, so I'm going to skip it, I believe. Whenever I drink coffee, it's decaf, so I never really knew whether caffeine messes up glucose levels or not.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Caffeine can cause adrenal fatigue

Coffee contains helpful antioxidants which can neutralize free radicals that are constantly occurring in our bodies but sad to say it also contains caffeine which can deceive the adrenal glands into thinking that the body needs its services. A lot of people drink coffee to keep them alert like when they are going to drive a car, study, make a presentation, etc., not knowing that the more coffee they drink each day, the more 'fatigued' their adrenal glands become.

REF: Antioxidants: Adrenal Fatigue Caused by Caffeine

google: Caffeine fatigue

ColaJim

You are correct. Caffeine makes you not be able to sleep; however, that means it gives you a lot of energy and increases your metabolism, as I've heard, rather than make you tired and have no pep. Its side effects seem to outweigh its gains, so I'm going to skip it, I believe. Whenever I drink coffee, it's decaf, so I never really knew whether caffeine messes up glucose levels or not.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Congratulations on quitting smoking, first of all. That clearly is a huge favor you just did yourself.

Now, Synephrine is a stimulant, synthetic epinephrine, and it would probably be worse for you than the caffeine. Yohimbine, likewise. That looks like a nasty package of legal-but-dangerous stimulants that give a lovely rush, for working out to.

I radically cut back on coffee, earlier this summer, after a trial period in which I discovered lower DP the next day. I really do not feel any the worse for wear, and may try to cut back further (I am down to 2 cups of gravity-filtered, it is not as strong as the Drip-brewed).

I would see how you do for 3 days without, then back to "with," and see how it affects you. But adrenals are almost certainly a part of the equation, in my case.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You say that you don't manage your food very well. As a diabetic, needing to lose weight you need to start keeping a food log. Over the last 15 years I have done a ton of exercise and used different diets to lose weight. Some worked some didn't. One thing I found when I would return from a 2 hour workout at the gym, if I didn't have a healthy meal prepared I would eat anything in sight. So make sure you have healthy dinners already prepared, so you don't negate all the hard work in the gym. I'm not a big believer in those supplements. You never know how some of those chemical ingredients are going to affect you. As far as the caffeine, I drink way too much coffee and diet soda. I am trying to cut back because I know it is not good for me. If you want to get extra protein try getting some whey powder and make smoothies.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
206 Posts
I radically cut back on coffee, earlier this summer, after a trial period in which I discovered lower DP the next day.
My kingdom for a coffee!!! :tea:

I wasn't going to read what people posted, I just wanted to state coffee is great and wonderful and a food group... until I spotted what you said about DP. Argh! Why did I read it??! :frusty:

Coffee doesn't affect my bg. I can have coffee after dinner and sleep like a baby all night long. Yes I know! I count my blessings :D

I'll have to investigate this DP thingie more. At the moment I have very decent numbers in the morning but DP has been my biggest challenge throughout the years with diabetes. I'm very curious to see if cutting back (doing without? ACK!!) could help my fasting numbers.

Much to think about...

Thanks and take care!

Reactions: Carolina and foxl

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's bad news for anyone. It increases amputations all by itself. When you put it together with diabetes which does the same, it multiplies its effects.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have had to give up so much since DX & For me giving up coffee isn't going to happen. I can't even drink decaf. I can only hope it won't be something I have to give up..

:tea:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your thorough and informative replies, guys. Sorry it took me a while but I was on vacation and just got back two days ago since university started today.

I've realized that there actually are some fat burners, or to be more precise, supplements that can be taken along with managing your diet that can speed up the process a little bit, that are caffeine-free. The biggest example would be Deca-Slim which is rated very high. I guess I'm going to give it a shot, and since the bottle only lasts a month, I'll see if it makes any difference or not. I'll concentrate on both the weight-loss, appetite, and any side effect it could possibly give me. I heard that drinking a lot of water after consuming a pill reduces any chances of a side effect, along with DetoxuFREE72 which prevents your body from toxic and such.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I think coffee's good. I can feel it. I refuse to be scientific with something I like so much. I'm the same with with fresh tomatoes. Do they affect BG? Please don't tell me. I'm NOT going to stop eating them. Whichever side of the brain that it is, it's not giving up on these issues!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Coffee has Chlorogenic Acid in it which causes you to have a GLP-1 release. A GLP-1 release stimulates your pancreas and your liver. Some react differently to this, some go high, some go low, some go high then low. Me I drink mine with 4 grams of sugar, art sweetener, heavy cream and coconut oil. I rely on the fact that it will cause a GLP-1 release. Tomatoes, yea I love em too. They do have some carbs and I limit myself to1/4 to 1/2 of a large wonderfuly sweet Beef Steak tomato.

I think coffee's good. I can feel it. I refuse to be scientific with something I like so much. I'm the same with with fresh tomatoes. Do they affect BG? Please don't tell me. I'm NOT going to stop eating them. Whichever side of the brain that it is, it's not giving up on these issues!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have had to give up so much since DX & For me giving up coffee isn't going to happen. I can't even drink decaf. I can only hope it won't be something I have to give up..

Carolina, I swear we are mirror twins!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I said the same thing..............However, I am at the point with Adrenal Gland Fatigue that I am being forced to give up my morning cup of bliss. :(

I am trying to make herbal tea my new habit, especially since I have to have something hot in the morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts