The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dears,

I am in my 40s now. Have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years back.

My blood sugar levels was extremely high at the initial stages, Fasting constituted 180 and Postpradially it was as high as 450. Doc put me on two meds. Amaryl (glimepiride)2mg with breakfast and Glucophage (metformin) 2000 mg in divided doses. After a week or so, my levels became normal and upon the advise of my shrink I stopped Amaryl and continued on Glucophage.

But recently I have been suffering from some dramatic changes. My blood sugar level is constantly high. Fasting 160, and even after a short meal it shoots up to 350 or more.

I knew of Prandia (repaglinide) and now I am using three medicines to control my abnormal sugar levels. Amaryl 2 mg twice daily, Prandia (Repaglinide) 2 mg half an hour before each meals and Glucophage (metformin) 1000mg twice daily. I have not achieved a considerable reduction even with this, but it has been only three days so far I put myself on this regimen.

Now please answer my questions you knowledgeable folks:

1. Does Amaryl (Glimepiride) take time to have an effect in our bodies and starts to lower blood sugar levels? I mean should I have to be on it for a week or so to consider it is less effective?

2. The same goes for Prandia (repaglinide) too. Is it necessary to wait for week or weeks to know the drug will work?

3. And finally, is combining these two medications are dangerous? I could not find any literature on this.

Sorry for this long post. But I am in a real predicament now. Abnormally high blood sugar levels makes me very much nervous. And If Amaryl 2 mg twice daily along with Prandia 2 mg prior to having meals can control it, I am ready to afford both of them. But anyone here using these both?

I hope you people will help me in this. It is very hard to live a life like this (I am a depressive too at the same time).

I have restarted Amaryl just a couple of days apart but added Prandin to it yesterday. Today, my Fasting level is still high as 165. I took 2 mg Repaglinide half an hour before breakfast and when I checked the level after two hours of breakfat, to my surprise it still shows 327. What a disappointment..!! Should I go on like this and wait for a week or more for drugs to kick in? Or should I need to shift to insulin?

Please help me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am a type 1 myself, but I do look into type 2, because I'm eager to learn.

I have read in several articles that, as a type 2, it's not a shame to treat your diabetes with insulin. Maybe that is a better solution for you? Why don't you discuss it with your doctor? Are you afraid of starting on insulin and if so, why?

I'm just thinking along with you...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a type 1 myself, but I do look into type 2, because I'm eager to learn.

I have read in several articles that, as a type 2, it's not a shame to treat your diabetes with insulin. Maybe that is a better solution for you? Why don't you discuss it with your doctor? Are you afraid of starting on insulin and if so, why?

I'm just thinking along with you...
Hi Dear,

I am not ashamed of using insulin at all. But as far as I know, it is the last resort for Type 2 diabetics. I want to know whether there is a chance for oral drugs to work on me. If they do not, I am ready to give up and use insulin.

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Dear,

I am not ashamed of using insulin at all. But as far as I know, it is the last resort for Type 2 diabetics. I want to know whether there is a chance for oral drugs to work on me. If they do not, I am ready to give up and use insulin.

Thanks.
You shouldn't think of insulin as the last resort... It's another way of treating your diabetes and most people can treat their diabetes better on insulin. You're still young and you have a long life to live. Enjoy your life and take care..:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello: :)

1. Yes, it takes a week or 2 max, to get full benefit of Amaryl.
2. Yes, it also takes a week or 2 to get the full benefit of Repaglinide.
3. No, it is not dangerous to combine these drugs.

I'm wondering why your Shrink told you to go off of Amaryl. Are you on an anti-depressant? Did he/she say that the Amaryl doesn't react Good with your anti-depressant?

Insulin is being used more and more with Type 2's to get their sugars under control. Then they are usually put back on just the oral medications.

Along with these drugs, exercise and diet are recommended to keep blood sugars in control. Try not to miss the dosage times. Test your sugars and keep a log of them and what you ate to show your Dr. so he can see how the drugs are working for you.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello there and welcome to our community! I know several Type 2 diabetics who could no longer use medications to control their diabetes. They started taking insulin and their control was very, very good. One of my best friends is Type 2 and he is using an insulin pump. He has excellent control. I am Type 1 and I also use a pump. I think pumps are wonderful but even without a pump your chances are excellent with the use of insulin. Good luck to you!

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts