The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen mostly positive experiences with the Relion Prime on these forums, but I'm about ready to throw mine against a wall - or at least the corresponding strips. It seems like incredibly precise finger/drop placement on the end of the strip is required, otherwise the test area can be completely saturated and the meter may not even register that there's any blood on it at all. The strips are the cheapest around, except that they're not when multiple strips are required per reading.

Now, part of the problem could be me, because my hands aren't very steady. However, with the help of several kind Forum people, I've found ways to minimize the impact of that (I position the meter on the counter with duct tape and brace my hand in various ways), so that I can get some readings without any trouble. Every few tests, though, multiple tries are required, and I can't figure out what I'm doing differently at those times.

I guess I have two questions. First, does anyone who's used the Prime have any insights into what I might be doing wrong some of the time? Second, has anyone tried the Prime and then had greater success with a different meter, and if so, which one? I test a lot at this point because I'm still trying to figure out what's safe to eat and when I spike, etc., so I'm concerned that if I have to use my insurance to cover the strips, they might restrict how many will be covered per week/month. :smash:

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I wish you lived closer because I too have a tremor and some days it is better and some days worse but I rarely have a problem. Is one hand worse than the other by chance? In any case what works for me is to hold the left hand against something so it doesn't move and I hold the meter in my right hand and when it's bad, I prop my hand with the meter against something firm like a counter edge and just aim the strip to the blood to suck it up. Maybe this will help you.

Good luck,

·
Registered
970 Posts
This opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

At this point, I think that your major concern has to be finding out what is going on. If in order to do that, you need to get a different meter, that is what you should do. There are many ways to get a "freebie" of any meter you want.

As for a recommendation, most like and know what they use and are familiar with. They all do the same thing.

With something like the Accu-Chek Compact Plus, you don't have to handle the strips, as they come in a drum. The meter sticks them out the front like a little tongue, so if that is one of the things you have trouble with, that meter might be easier for you. That's what my old meter is/was.

Now I use a Bayer Contour USB, which I like, but what I like, you may not, and you still have to handle strips with mine.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of advice here, so good luck.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Hi SPB. It sounds like there could be a few things going on. If you're saturating the area, are you sure your lancet device is on the correct setting? If you're getting a ton of blood, you can likely adjust your lancet setting for a smaller drop from your skin prick. I have never had the problem you're describing with the strips. I just let the Prime test strips "suck up" the blood from the drop, and pull the meter away after the strip is filled. My concern with what you're experiencing is that if you're having problems with the blood portion & strip, the problem would be the same, even with a different meter. All meters work basically the same (I've tried many). The strip sucks up the blood, and then produces the reading. Maybe try a lighter lancet setting, and make sure you're not leaving your strip in the blood after it's taken it up.

Sorry you're having trouble. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mary, you may have solved my problem. I was moving my finger to the strip rather than the other way. I had tried moving the strip to the blood the day I got the meter and it didn't work, but I guess I'm adept enough with the meter that it worked today. I also didn't realize it was possible to get too *much* blood on the strip as opposed to too little. Thanks!!

Reactions: Dodie37737 and Mary

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
You're very welcome. Let the strip suck up the blood, don't move your finger into the strip. It'll do its own thing once you put it there. Glad I could help. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have an Acu-chek Compact Plus--the one with the drum. Every so often it takes forever to read the blood and sometimes I have to use a second or third strip. I think humidity must be the problem as I live in Missouri and you can't escape the weather changes no matter what. Maybe you have a similar problem with the Relion strips. BTW, you are a great problem solver with the tape and all.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is one reason I was happy with the old ReliOn meter strips - like the Ultima - which are individually sealed in foil. Missouri is getting miserably humid now & all the air conditioning in the world has scant effect on Mother Nature! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts