The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 27 & on October 29, my doctor gave me a A1C test & said I was pre-diabetes with 5.9. I took it extremely serious but now I feel like I'm going crazy worrying about getting it lower. I'm the first to admit that I had a massive sweet tooth, I couldn't go a day without having some kind of chocolate. I'm 5'6 & was 143 when he diagnosed me. I immediately cut out all sweets, junk, and refined sugar. I've been watching my diet & excercised every chance I could. I'm doing Tae Bo Advanced 6 days a week for 45 minutes & running 3 days a week for 30 minutes in addition to that. That along with dieting helped me drop 12 pounds so far.

I do understand that the A1C is measured every 3 months, so I can't even bother getting tested for this again for 2 more months. The thing is though, I can't help but obsess about getting it lower. I tried asking my doctor but he told me I was worrying too much & to not concern myself until I'm able to test again (it's not easy to not think about though) I know it's only December 1 but I can't help but wonder though if it's possibly, it could have possibly gone down even just a tiny bit? I just cant help but obsessively worry about this :(

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I think he's right and you're worrying too much. But, yes, A1C can change in that short a period. It measures conditions for 3 months, but is heavily weighted in favor of the last 2 or 3 weeks.

If you can't stop obsessing, just take $9.95 to Wal-Mart and buy a mail-in self-test. The 4 or 5 days to get the result may seem like an eternity but it's much less than 3 months. You can do that as often as you like.

I'm 27 & on October 29, my doctor gave me a A1C test & said I was pre-diabetes with 5.9. I took it extremely serious but now I feel like I'm going crazy worrying about getting it lower. I'm the first to admit that I had a massive sweet tooth, I couldn't go a day without having some kind of chocolate. I'm 5'6 & was 143 when he diagnosed me. I immediately cut out all sweets, junk, and refined sugar. I've been watching my diet & excercised every chance I could. I'm doing Tae Bo Advanced 6 days a week for 45 minutes & running 3 days a week for 30 minutes in addition to that. That along with dieting helped me drop 12 pounds so far.

I do understand that the A1C is measured every 3 months, so I can't even bother getting tested for this again for 2 more months. The thing is though, I can't help but obsess about getting it lower. I tried asking my doctor but he told me I was worrying too much & to not concern myself until I'm able to test again (it's not easy to not think about though) I know it's only December 1 but I can't help but wonder though if it's possibly, it could have possibly gone down even just a tiny bit? I just cant help but obsessively worry about this :(

·
Registered
556 Posts
To answer your question, here is a recent post by someone who lowered her bg in 3 days: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes/7507-i-believe.html

Your A1c of 5.9 means your average blood glucose (bg) for the past 3 months was about 123, which ain't half bad. Many diabetics would kill to get their A1c into the 5% range.

I am also prediabetic, that is why my doc wouldn't give me a prescription for a meter and test strips, so I went to Walmart and bought my own... ReliOn brand. That's about as cheap as you can get them. You should be keeping tabs on your bg. That way you won't have to wonder if it is going up or down, you'll know. I test my fasting bg first thing in the morning. Also 1 hr. after meals to see how high that meal takes my bg, then an hour after that to see if my bg has gone higher or lower. Ideally it would be lower, but it could go either way, depending on what I eat.

It is good that you cut out sweets, junk, and refined sugar because carbs are the main thing that cause bg to rise. Just keep in mind that almost everything has carbs in it, so be sure to read nutrition labels. If you want to know what most of us diabetics do and don't eat, check out LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com If you eat something that takes your bg too high, cut it out of your diet. Us prediabetics and type 2's have to eat to our meters because everyone is different.

Check out the recipe section of the forum so you can satisfy that sweet tooth and maybe even get your chocolate fix.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Spotty? I'm happy to welcome you to DF, and I hope you'll visit often and ask all the questions you have. But I'm not going to feed into this obsession.

Blood tests are expensive and the life of a red blood cell is roughly 120 days. There is no point in taking a new A1c when there are still many of the same RBCs floating around in your arteries, and they'll be there for another two months. Whatever your competitive or obsessive instincts are, pay attention here, and concentrate on getting your daily levels stable. Then the A1c will take care of itself.

The A1c is not the be-all and end-all of diabetes diagnosis or control. Just simmer down a little and keep your eye on the long-term goal - avoiding complications of diabetes. You've gotten a wake-up call to change your lifestyle. So keep in mind that you're going to have a good long life, and you don't want to burn out before the first lap is completed. Your blood levels likely aren't causing any damage now, so you can still make the changes, but if you give your body and your psyche a little time to adjust as you go along, your resolve will last a lot longer.

And if you are serious about combating diabetes & avoiding complications of high blood sugar, just cutting sweets/junk/refined sugar is not going to get you there. Check the website Spunky posted - LCHF for beginners and Blood Sugar 101 as well. These will give you a lot of information that you need to maintain the lifestyle. Relax a little and ditch the manic behavior. Educate yourself and buckle in for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It is believed by many that about 50% of the score of your HbA1C depends on the last 1 month.

So yes you should see a drop in 30 days.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. HbA1c can change quickly for some of us for for others it may take longer. Your HbA1c is great now and I would not obsess with getting it lower too fast. I think your doctor is right on this one. Are you testing everyday, especially 2 hours after meals. I think that is a much better way to monitor your progress. When you are diabetetic your endocrine system doesn't always function the way it should. So many of us have to watch our carb levels at each meal and test in between meals to make sure our liver isn't dumping glucose. Before diabetes I did a ton of exercise usually 2-3 hours of intense exercise at a time. When I first started to test I saw a pattern. About 45 minutes into my exercise I would start to spike big time. I now know this is from stress hormones that are produced and your liver reacts by dumping glucose. So make sure you test after exercise. I still exercise but I usually do it in smaller segments. Check out our recipe forum for fantastic recipes. We still eat chocolate and tons of Low Carb cookies, muffins and treats.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Doctors usually don't tell us prediabetics much when we are diagnosed, usually just you're prediabetic and come back in 3 mos. for another A1c. I didn't know until I found this forum that you don't need a prescription to get a meter and test strips.

Anyway, in my post last night I recommended that you test your bg, but testing won't do you much good if you don't know what the numbers mean. If you go to bloodsugar101 and read the section 'what is normal blood sugar' it will give you all the info. you need to know about what numbers are safe and unsafe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Doctors usually don't tell us prediabetics much when we are diagnosed, usually just you're prediabetic and come back in 3 mos. for another A1c. I didn't know until I found this forum that you don't need a prescription to get a meter and test strips.

Anyway, in my post last night I recommended that you test your bg, but testing won't do you much good if you don't know what the numbers mean. If you go to bloodsugar101 and read the section 'what is normal blood sugar' it will give you all the info. you need to know about what numbers are safe and unsafe.
Um us type 2 diabetics don't often get told much different upon diagnosis. :) I had to ask for test strips of which they gave me a whopping 2 a day.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Um us type 2 diabetics don't often get told much different upon diagnosis. :) I had to ask for test strips of which they gave me a whopping 2 a day.
Ditto this! My doc prescribed Janumet and told me to lose weight. End of appointment. :mad:

Reactions: PowerPumper
1 - 9 of 9 Posts