The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem. I've been dealing my blood sugar and headaches after I eat. I was finally sent to get some blood work done after some high morning results 128-143 from my at home meter. On the day of my test my meter read 140 a couple of hours before I had my blood drawn. I just got my results back. It said my bg was 86. How can that be?? Is my meter just so totally wrong? I'm confused. I know I should be happy about not being diagnosed, but this leaves things up in the air for me as everybody seemed to think that this was the problem. Can someone give me some advise??

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Two hours is plenty of time for that much fluctuation in your levels. If you had taken your meter with you to the lab & used it at the same time they drew blood, it would have been a excellent comparison, but two hours before there's just NO comparison.

Many of us have gotten in the habit of taking our meters & checking them whenever we have lab work done, so if you get any more tests done, be sure to take your meter with you & use it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Here's my problem. I've been dealing my blood sugar and headaches after I eat. I was finally sent to get some blood work done after some high morning results 128-143 from my at home meter. On the day of my test my meter read 140 a couple of hours before I had my blood drawn. I just got my results back. It said my bg was 86. How can that be?? Is my meter just so totally wrong? I'm confused. I know I should be happy about not being diagnosed, but this leaves things up in the air for me as everybody seemed to think that this was the problem. Can someone give me some advise??
A couple of hours had passed. Its possible that your blood sugar did come down in that time. Home meters also can be off somewhat up to I think around 20%. Not sure about that....either 10-20% If your meter requires coding, be sure you have checked your strips with control solution to make sure they are within range. I usually take mine with me when I go to the Dr and check it when they draw my blood and compare the results to check my meter for accuracy.
Also be sure when you check your blood at home that you have washed your hands well with warm water and soap before testing to make sure nothing is on your skin to contaminate the specimen. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My hands were clean. And no coding. I use a freestyle lite meter, but I always check on my fingers. In the past it proved pretty accurate compared to another meter. Should I bring these numbers up with my doctor again? Do any of you get headaches after a meal containing carbs??

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My hands were clean. And no coding. I use a freestyle lite meter, but I always check on my fingers. In the past it proved pretty accurate compared to another meter. Should I bring these numbers up with my doctor again? Do any of you get headaches after a meal containing carbs??
I don't usually get a headache from high blood sugar, I get really sleepy. If you have compared to another meter and it was about the same then your meter is probably accurate. Do you find you have high blood sugars still 2 hours after a meal? I would keep a log with what you are eating, your blood sugar fasting, before meals and at least 2 hours after, and anytime you feel bad and check it. Take this information with you to the Dr. Have you had an A1c test done? That will tell you an average of what your blood sugar has been running over the last three months. This will give your doctor a lot more information about any highs you might be having after meals that might not show up in a fasting blood sugar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been keeping track of my blood sugar for about 2weeks now. My morning average is around 125. Sometimes as high as 140 or as low as 110. Never below 100. Before meals I'm around 130. After meals range 120(low carb) or 180(High carb). Whenever I get symptoms it's always above 120 even if I haven't eaten over 8 hours. I know my numbers aren't high but they do seem elevated and this is all while I'm on a low carb healthy diet.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have been keeping track of my blood sugar for about 2weeks now. My morning average is around 125. Sometimes as high as 140 or as low as 110. Never below 100. Before meals I'm around 130. After meals range 120(low carb) or 180(High carb). Whenever I get symptoms it's always above 120 even if I haven't eaten over 8 hours. I know my numbers aren't high but they do seem elevated and this is all while I'm on a low carb healthy diet.
I agree they definitely are elevated. If your Dr hasn't done an A1C I would recommend it. And keep a log of all this and take it with you to next appointment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will definatly ask ( although at this point I don't wanna get poked again. I hate getting blood drawn) I wonder if it's possible that I may have it but have been self treating myself lol. Idk. Thanks for your help and any future help. I just checked my blood sugar at about 1:20 pm. I hasn't eaten anything since about 12 midnight (Greek yogurt with almonds) and my level was 114. I was expecting a much lower number.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I just checked my blood sugar at about 1:20 pm. I hasn't eaten anything since about 12 midnight (Greek yogurt with almonds) and my level was 114. I was expecting a much lower number.
Welcome to the world of liver dumps! When we don't eat, sometimes our body decides that it needs a snack without our permission, so our livers convert a little glycogen into glucose and proceed to secrete it into our bloodstreams. We call this a liver dump, and it gives us high levels even though we haven't eaten - actually BECAUSE we haven't eaten. It's one of the most frustrating things we deal with! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if any of this has to do with my celiac disease. It seems that my blood sugar levels have been on the rise since going completey gluten free. Yesterday I had food contaminated with gluten and am pretty I'll today. But guess what my sugar is down!! Yay! Most likely from my digestion being of wack though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts