The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm sure that i've made a rod for my own back but I can't stand artificial sweeteners...I can always taste them no matter what....

Does anyone have any recipes for anything sweet that doesn't use artificial sweeteners? Not so much for me... but my family is now eating low carb too and they would like something sweet once in a while?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
741 Posts
stevia isn't artificial..it's a natural sweetener

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Are you sure? I use cyclamate,in my coffee, but made ice cream from some mixed this weekend and I couldn't taste a difference. I can taste splenda and some others, but mixed it worked for me.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm sure that i've made a rod for my own back but I can't stand artificial sweeteners...I can always taste them no matter what....

Does anyone have any recipes for anything sweet that doesn't use artificial sweeteners? Not so much for me... but my family is now eating low carb too and they would like something sweet once in a while?

Any help would be appreciated!
I'm the same way. Stevia's natural and OK in most things, but can be bitter.

Lo han (or luo han) is also natural, but pricey. It's most easily found online. I found small jars in the health food store. To me it acts (and cakes up) almost like sugar. But the stuff I found is also cut with levulose. For that reason plus price, I use it sparingly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.....

I wasn't aware of stevia... I've now gone and looked it up and it seems really interesting....

Can we buy it in the supermarkets D33na?....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Patdart....what is eryth???

You'd be suprised and what we don't have in Australia..... Especially in Perth (which is where D33na and I are and onlymep)....Perth can sometimes be a hundred years behind the rest of the world ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
tiggle...I use the liquid stevia as it has no additives...and you can find it in most health food shops...I know you can get it in Belmont...there are a fair few brands and they do vary in taste...and its expensive....it does take getting used to...I'm sure I've seen erythritol in the shop too....

G

·
I just use LogiCane TT... I don't use a lot of it. But I find it doesn't spike my BGLs. It's carb of course so you have to be careful to not overdo it. But it's just sugar coated with molasses which scientists have found slows down absorbtion of the sugar in your bloodstream.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use different things depending on what I am cooking. For baking I like a combo of stevia and erythitiol. If a recipe calls for 1 cup, I usually only use 1/4 cup. I also find adding unsweet coconut to some recipes helps sweeten. I also use the Torani or Davinci syrups to sweeten things. Again I only use a small amount. Baking without sugar takes a lot of experimenting. I have found that my taste buds have actually changed and I don't even like sweet things anymore. My husband actually likes my low carb creations without the sugar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts