Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, get tested for sure

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi All,

I am a 31 year old male. Since last two weeks i was noticing that I was feeling hungry very often, even after taking lunch/dinner. So I decided to get my Blood Glucose checked. I got an Accu-Chek Blood Glucose Meter and checked at home. Given below are the results..

BG level Fasting - 102
BG level - 170 (1hour after dinner)
BG level - 170 (2hours after dinner )

What do these symptoms suggest? Am I pre diabetic? Please help me in this regard.

Thanks

Hi Samantray

I would request you to start a new thread in the Introduce Yourself section by click on the New Thread option on the following link

Introduce Yourself - The Diabetes Forum - Building a New Community to Serve Diabetics Online

As far as your numbers go your numbers indicate a condition called pre diabetes which means that part of your insulin creating capabilities (beta cells in the pancreas) have been destroyed.

While there is no way for sure of how to reverse the damage to your beta cells you can easily prevent further damage. This way you can avoid becoming diabetic for very long (maybe even your entire life). But you will have to make changes to both your lifestyle and dietary habits

You have an opportunity, which many of us like me did not have. I was diagnosed as a full blown diabetic. Make full use of it

However you definitely need to get medical opinion and some tests. The tests are

1. HBA1C (which gives you an indication of average sugar levels in the last 2-3 months)
2. OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test)

A doctor will ask you for these tests to confirm any kind of diagnosis

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a 31 years old(male). Since last two weeks i was noticing that I was feeling hungry very often, even after taking lunch/dinner. So I decided to get my Blood Glucose checked. I got an Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter and checked at home. Given below are the results..

BG level Fasting - 102(after 8hrs of fasting)
BG level Fasting - 98(after 10hrs of fasting)
BG level - 170 (1hour after dinner)
BG level - 170 (2hours after dinner )

My BMI index is 29.3.

What do these symptoms suggest? Am I pre diabetic? I f yes then what are the next steps for me now?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree with Eric (thosebackpages) . . . get to your doc & have the tests done. I don't personally agree with the idea of being "pre" diabetic - I think you either are or you aren't - and your numbers are high enough to indicate some malfunction in your metabolism.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Your post meal numbers are in the "diabetes" territory. I'd suggest a visit to the doctor who will order some tests and advise you further. Also, do keep visiting the forum and learning additional stuff about diabetes. Learn, experiment and implement has worked for me. I'm sure it will for you too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to our fourm. Your fasting numbers are pretty good, maybe a touch in the pre diabetic territory. But what concerns me is the after dinner numbers. Diabetics have a problem with processing carbs. So if you are eating the standard american diet full of carbs your after meal bgs will be high. It is recomended for diabetics you be no higher than 120-140 or lower. A non diabetic will be close to his fasting at 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I agree with Shanny in regard to the notion of "pre-diabetes". I think that it's either is diabetes or not. There's no in-between. I also don't think you can prevent further damage from occurring even by eating LCHF. You can seriously slow down the rate of damage but not prevent it. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks all for your response......:)
I have scheduled a doctor appointment for next week.
Meanwhile I did some tests today...given below are
the results..

BG Fasting - 104 (8 hours after dinner)
BG - 123 (2 hours after lunch)

What to infer from these figures?

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
The numbers might be a tick high but the difference between them fall with the error of any glucometer, 20%. When adding the possibly high numbers with a high BMI, which I'm assuming is from being overweight and "over muscled", then you have an increased risk for developing diabetes.

The good news is, since the BG numbers are close to normal, a few simple lifestyle changes and you can delay, or possibly prevent, the development.

If you don't already, start exercising. Not much, good brisk walk for about 30-60 minutes a day will do just fine. Since you are seeing the doc next week, make sure to get a physical and make sure you can exercise. I've seen what happens when someone thinks he can just start running 5 miles, ain't pretty.

Also look at dietary changes. A few simple things, like cutting out fast foods will go along way and save money. Bonus!

Good luck and remember to have fun!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Ate you recording what foods and portion sizes you are eating as well? It's a start on getting hold of what foods may be influencing your BG.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks all for your response......:)
I have scheduled a doctor appointment for next week.
Meanwhile I did some tests today...given below are
the results..

BG Fasting - 104 (8 hours after dinner)
BG - 123 (2 hours after lunch)

What to infer from these figures?
Your fasting is a little bit high, and the 2-hour postprandial is more than a little high - in two hours it should have dropped back near to the level of your fasting. If you really want to know the damage done you should test at one hour after your first bite - that will prob'ly knock your socks off, but it will tell you how high you actually spiked on the meal before your levels began to drop back down. Try that a few times.

And your first line of defense here is to eliminate all the fast-acting carbs from your meals. Stop eating bread and noodles, potatoes & rice. It isn't only fast food that contains high carbs - it's anything made with grains (corn, rice, wheat, oats) and it's the root/tuber vegetables like potatoes, etc. Even milk is high in carbs because of its lactose content. Use real cream instead of milk. And you'll discover that you aren't getting hungry soon after eating. By limiting your carb intake and increase the fats in your diet, you won't be hungry nearly so often.

Let us know what your doctor has to say, but don't expect it to be as strict as our advice. The medical community often treats this like no big deal . . . well, it IS a big deal, and if you can catch it pretty early as you have, you can control it a lot more easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Shanny...

Well i tried to see how much the BG is being pushed by taking carbs....by taking some noodles and white bread for dinner. Following are the results

BG level - 138 (exactly 1 hour after taking my first bite for dinner)
BG level - 178 (90 minutes after dinner)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks Shanny...

Well i tried to see how much the BG is being pushed by taking carbs....by taking some noodles and white bread for dinner. Following are the results

Samantray these readings are not normal. Having said that it could have been worse. Have you been to the doctor yet ?

G

·
Thanks Shanny...

Welcome to forum.
Nothing to worry (get tensed) about. It just would involve "happily" aligning with new way of life and keep smiling. As advised .. visit a doctor (or even before that you can walk in to any Patho lab and get your FBS and PPBS done). Doctor would in any case order CBC/Lipid Profile/FBS/PPBS/SGPT/Cretanine/Urine tests as a regular recommendation. Many labs do the entire bunch at a discount as compared to getting individual tests done.

From levels that you are you can easily avoid medicines by aligning to new way of living. If you can go for a 20 min brisk walk after 20 minutes of finishing meal (easier said than done but it does work).

BMI of 29 is high so definitely it needs to be brought down (to <24). Even this will help a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well the Lab test results are out. Seems like I have it......

FBS - 93 (approx 10 hours after dinner)
PPBS - 208

I am devastated. Will again go for another round of test next week.:confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hang on & try to get a handle on it, samantray. You have a slew of friends here who are likewise afflicted, and are living happy healthy lives. You know how to control it, you know what may be necessary, so move on with making the lifestyle changes and get control. Sorry you got the diagnosis, but I'm glad you're here with us to get good advice how to control it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts