The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was dx in april of this year with type 2 with a fasting bg of 320. since then i have lost 30 lbs. and a fasting bg of 140-150 and 2hr after a meal of 160-170. so after 6 months my Dr. wants me to start metformin. i wanted to try to avoid meds and the possible side affects. i think i can further improve my numbers with more dieting and exersize. are these numbers a health threat or is my Dr. just being cautious.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't think he's being cautious. These numbers are still outside the really safe range, and I think metformin might give you the boost you need to drop them another 50-60 points. Just be sure he prescribes the extended release version.

It's the safest oral diabetes drug on the market - it was developed in the 50s & is still the cornerstone of type 2 treatment, since it works WITHOUT pummeling the already-overworked pancreas. It is also used to treat type 1 diabetics who develop insulin resistance.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tried to do diet and exercise for 2-3 months. I actually asked my doctor for metformin. Metformin is one of the safest meds out there and in works in the liver to avoid those spikes in between meals and at night. There is no way you can do that with diet and exercise. I now take the maximum amount of metformin, in 3 daily doses. If I miss one of those doses my bgs will spike 20 points so I know it is working. Your best chance of avoiding complications is to keep bgs as close to normal (70-120) as possible. Since no one knows exactly where diabetes damage starts , it is better to play safe. I try to keep my bgs as close to 100 or under as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts