The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to do a little back story first, if you don't want that whole part, just skip to the bottom paragraph.

I tried diet and exercise for two months and then got sent to the endocrinologist for a separate issue which is somewhat related to my diabetes (PCOS). Part of the treatment for that is also metformin. She started me on 500 mg of regular metformin twice a day and told me to go up to 1000mg when I was used to it.

The doctor accidentally sent the prescription for a 850mg tab instead of a 1000mg tab (nice). So they told me to cut it in half and go from there since I had already brought it home and the pharmacy wouldn't take it back (never really had regular meds to take so didn't know to check before leaving the pharmacy)

So I tried the half pill and had no real side effects so went ahead to go to the 850mg and thought I had been poisoned and was going to die.

My sister is a pharmacist and said she was surprised about me being prescribed the regular met and suggested I get switched to extended release. So I switched and have been taking the 1000mg twice a day with mostly just a little nausea but nothing much else in the gastric region thank goodness.

Now my sugars are finally coming down below 110 and I'm finding that I feel really weird and shakey feeling and in fact my hands have been shaking. Also my heart kinda starts beating where I can hear it. However, 104 (my last reading) is hardly a low reading. Is this common for people to feel after they've had high blood sugar for a awhile and are just now coming toward the normal range?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Add me to the Been There Done That list.

Normal levels made me queasy for a number of weeks at first. But at the same time, I noticed other symptoms -- stuff I'd thought was unrelated -- got better (e.g., mood, mental focus and eyesight).

You're doing great. Hang in there!

Reactions: annsrum

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is totally normal as your bgs lower. We actually call it a "False Low". Your body is used to higher bgs and thinks they are normal. Eventually you should get used to bgs in the 80-100 range. I like to carry around some low carb crackers or nuts to munch on when I get those feelings. I am one of the lucky ones who can take the regular metformin. I take 2550 mg and never have a problem. Be careful cutting the extended pills though.

Reactions: annsrum
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.