The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the results of my a1c (ReliOn home test kit) back and it was 5.4% but my blood glucose levels are all over the place from 70-158 fasting (I have been tracking them for about a month now). I get sleepy after I eat a decent meal and notice that sometimes I get this bottomless pit/incredibly hungry feeling that just will not go away. I am overweight with BMI of 39, being treated for hypertension, and have history of diabetes on both my mother and father's side of the family.

What is the doctor going to look at more, my home meter readings or the a1c results?

I currently take Cymbalta, Neurontin, Lexapro, Plaquenil, Relafen, Robaxin, BenicarHCT, and tylenol 3 for fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I just got the results of my a1c (ReliOn home test kit) back and it was 5.4% but my blood glucose levels are all over the place from 70-158 fasting (I have been tracking them for about a month now). I get sleepy after I eat a decent meal and notice that sometimes I get this bottomless pit/incredibly hungry feeling that just will not go away. I am overweight with BMI of 39, being treated for hypertension, and have history of diabetes on both my mother and father's side of the family.

What is the doctor going to look at more, my home meter readings or the a1c results?

I currently take Cymbalta, Neurontin, Lexapro, Plaquenil, Relafen, Robaxin, BenicarHCT, and tylenol 3 for fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.
The Doc will look at Ha1c more because it shows what your average glucose levels are on a 24/7 basis for the prior 3 months. However, the Ha1c will need to come from a reputable Lab - not from a home kit. If your Ha1c is 5.4 it is doubtful that you will diagnosed with Diabetes.

The medicine you're taking for your arthritis "Benicar HCT" may be giving you a side effect of high blood sugar, but that isn't the same thing as having Diabetes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Doc will look at Ha1c more because it shows what your average glucose levels are on a 24/7 basis for the prior 3 months. However, the Ha1c will need to come from a reputable Lab - not from a home kit. If your Ha1c is 5.4 it is doubtful that you will diagnosed with Diabetes.

The medicine you're taking for your arthritis "Benicar HCT" may be giving you a side effect of high blood sugar, but that isn't the same thing as having Diabetes.

We've actually reduced the amount of Benicar that I take to half a tablet daily and my sugar is higher now than it was before. Also I did one of the mail in tests to an actual lab instead of the instant reading one that you do only at home. Does that make any difference?

·
Banned
158 Posts
We've actually reduced the amount of Benicar that I take to half a tablet daily and my sugar is higher now than it was before. Also I did one of the mail in tests to an actual lab instead of the instant reading one that you do only at home. Does that make any difference?
If in doubt, it would probably be wise to ask your doctor about this - just to be on the safe side. He should write you a lab order that you can have done at a local hospital - that should give you some reliable info.

Has your Doc looked into Thyroid function and/or food sensitivities that may be triggering inflammation?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Yes with numbers like yours you definitely need to discuss this with a doctor. Since your HbA1c is still in the normal range, be prepared for him to tell you not to worry. But go with your first instinct. Normal non-D's will have fasting bgs 70- mid 90's and after meal numbers 80-120. So your bgs are definitely way above normal and possibly doing damage. Often when you have auto immune diseases it puts you at a further risk for LADA and Type 2.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Welcome to DF. Yes with numbers like yours you definitely need to discuss this with a doctor. Since your HbA1c is still in the normal range, be prepared for him to tell you not to worry. But go with your first instinct. Normal non-D's will have fasting bgs 70- mid 90's and after meal numbers 80-120. So your bgs are definitely way above normal and possibly doing damage. Often when you have auto immune diseases it puts you at a further risk for LADA and Type 2.
This may be slightly "off topic," but it appears that the definition of "Normal non-D's" has CHANGED!

I have always kept a copy of all my labs test results and I just pulled out the one from 1996 (2 YEARS BEFORE I was diagnosed with Diabetes) and my Fasting Glucose was 105 and it says the "normal" range is 70-120.

I just pulled out my labs results from 2 weeks ago and it says the "normal" range is 70-99.

When did "normal" change???
No wonder more people are being diagnosed with Diabetes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This may be slightly "off topic," but it appears that the definition of "Normal non-D's" has CHANGED!

I have always kept a copy of all my labs test results and I just pulled out the one from 1996 (2 YEARS BEFORE I was diagnosed with Diabetes) and my Fasting Glucose was 105 and it says the "normal" range is 70-120.

I just pulled out my labs results from 2 weeks ago and it says the "normal" range is 70-99.

When did "normal" change???
No wonder more people are being diagnosed with Diabetes.
The medical community is slowly learning, but they still have a way to go in both identifying diabetes properly AND in offering treatment solutions.

120 fasting BG should NEVER have been defined as normal... But once upon a time it was. Tolerances are now tighter as they learn that fasting is one of the last markers to raise in many cases.

To the OP: I would ask for both an HbA1c AND an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) to be done. The HbA1c of 5.4 is a little high - though not where they usually diagnose pre-diabetes in some cases. Many people can have an HbA1c in the 'normal' range, but an OGTT result that indicates diabetes... so it's worth getting BOTH done if you can. If the OGTT shows diabetes but the HbA1c isn't elevated to a dangerous level, you've caught it in time to avoid major complications...

·
Banned
158 Posts
Great suggestions, Beefy.

I must have had Diabetes long before I was actually diagnosed. That certainly explains a lot. I remember feeling so dizzy I kept feeling like I was going to fall down all the time, which is why I went to the doctor in 1996. I recall having a GGT back then and it showed I was "borderline" - which back then meant no treatment.

Wow. We really have come a long way, but we still have a long way to go to find better treatments.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The medical community is slowly learning, but they still have a way to go in both identifying diabetes properly AND in offering treatment solutions.

120 fasting BG should NEVER have been defined as normal... But once upon a time it was. Tolerances are now tighter as they learn that fasting is one of the last markers to raise in many cases.

To the OP: I would ask for both an HbA1c AND an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) to be done. The HbA1c of 5.4 is a little high - though not where they usually diagnose pre-diabetes in some cases. Many people can have an HbA1c in the 'normal' range, but an OGTT result that indicates diabetes... so it's worth getting BOTH done if you can. If the OGTT shows diabetes but the HbA1c isn't elevated to a dangerous level, you've caught it in time to avoid major complications...

Dr is doing a battery of tests but disn't feel that OGTT was needed, doing a fasting blood draw, cbc & differential, iron profile, TSH, Thyroxine total, vitamin D level, and something called Alanine Aminitransferase. She wasn't too concerned about anything other than my high fasting readings. She did do a urine screen for spilling any glucose. Guess we wait and see now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello all...I had it out with my family doc and ended up getting myself into an endocrinologist who did extensive blood testing and actually LISTENED to me. He has me started on 500mg Metformin twice daily and started me on 0.6mg Victoza injection for Megabolic Syndrome/Pre-diabetes.

Since starting meds my sugar has stabilized and weight is just melting off. I am still learning about what I can and cannot eat. It was a huge relief to meet with a doc that didn't talk down to me and took my case seriously while I still have time to turn this thing around.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Thanks for the update and glad you found a doc you have confidence in and with whom you can work. Just curious - what have your numbers been running since you were last here?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I bet you do! That's a wild ride you were on - so good that you've flattened that curve ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.