The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a family history of diabetic, always had a fear in mind why me. This October it struck! At 38, lean ,athletic and very active. Went to doc with bowl problems, he asked for US scan and Blood work. Result a spiked blood sugar and a fatty liver (grade 2) !!! Congrats!!: smile2:

From my investigations (Diet and blood work)my morning levels are elevated even after tight controls. Writing a detailed summary of my findings.

After having oats and an apple(small) on dinner, my morning fasting readings are in between 100 and 120.Why the hell is that? Then after an 2 hour intense exercise walking and lifting light weights and a normal light breakfast, post readings are 130-160! I don know what the hell is happening?

The twist is after lunch can say pretty heavy one with beef curry or chicken the post readings is 104/110 or 120. It stays at this level almost for the day.

i got a tip to include a protein snack(2 boiled egg whites) after morning exercise but before breakfast. it worked!!!. Readings got reduced to 115!

What is happening in my body any similar experience?
Is my liver producing this sugar as i am completely avoiding bakery, sugar or other carbs? Please advise me on this, heared people just walked 30 mins to attain their normal levels. Im walking up to 3 hours in a day and this is elevated still.

Please guys, help me out. Is im diabetic or is my liver producing sugar? Do i need to medicate?? which i desperately dot want :sad2:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Coming from a family history of diabetic, always had a fear in mind why me. This October it struck! At 38, lean ,athletic and very active.

After having oats and an apple(small) on dinner, my morning fasting readings are in between 100 and 120.Why the hell is that? Then after an 2 hour intense exercise walking and lifting light weights and a normal light breakfast, post readings are 130-160! I don know what the hell is happening?

The twist is after lunch can say pretty heavy one with beef curry or chicken the post readings is 104/110 or 120. It stays at this level almost for the day.

Please guys, help me out. Is im diabetic or is my liver producing sugar? Do i need to medicate?? which i desperately dot want :sad2:
Sorry to hear that Dhan, from my understanding the liver will release sugar in the blood stream if your BG levels are low - this happens to both diabetics and non diabetics. As well, sometimes when you drink alcohol your liver will not release sugar in your blood stream when your BGs go low - thus why you have to be careful about drinking if you have diabetes.

As far as a fatty liver - I'm not a doctor so I have no idea of the causes of that.

If I were you I would get an A1C done - it will indicate where your BG levels have been over the long term and then go from there.

Good luck and all the best!

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Hi Dhan, welcome to the forum.

The liver does many jobs, one is to convert nutrients we eat to a storable fuel for future energy needs. Glucose is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver to be later converted back into glucose and released into the bloodstream. The source of that glucose comes mainly form the carbs you eat.

You say you are completely avoiding bakery, sugar or other carbs, but you say you ate oats and and an apple, both sources of carbs. I would say this is a little simpler than the chicken or the egg question about which came first. You should take a closer look ate your foods and see just how many carbs you are eating.

It is a little more complicated than just this, but it can be covered in more detail if you go to Bloodsugar101 and do a little reading, time well spent.

As far as being diabetic, you should go see your doctor and be tested.

Reactions: Dhan and skypeace

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Hi Dhan

Oats, and other grains, are high in starch and will quickly be broken down in the stomach (actually, it begins in the mouth) to pure glucose. So, eating these foods is just about like eating a piece of candy.

Fruit varies in how quickly the starches (fructose and glucose) are broken down and enter the bloodstream as glucose. The fiber in fruit does slow the process down. An apple is higher in fiber and is probably a better choice than grapes, but even so, eventually the glucose from its digestion will be available to raise your blood glucose.

For a non-diabetic, none of this is problematic. For a diabetic, it is.

I second the suggestion to give Blood Sugar 101 a good read through.

I also second the opinion that you really should see your doctor and get some tests run - An A1C for sure, and maybe even a glucose tolerance test to see how you stand as regards diabetes.

My understanding is that non-alcoholic fatty liver is promoted by high blood sugar levels over a period of time. Many on this forum have reported that after getting good control of their blood sugar (i.e., getting them down consistently to near-normal levels) their fatty liver cleared up.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
495 Posts
oh,thought oats was better! But does it have the sugar to spike it upto to 120 for fasting morning?
Count carbs and be aware carbs are hiding in many food items you wouldnt suspect. Certain veggies contain carbs, meat, milk, grains, and flour. Fruits like apples and banana's loaded with carbs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I thought oats was good and I was eating a lot of it and I couldn't understand why my blood glucose was so high. I started logging what I ate and my resulting numbers at different intervals and found that oats was my biggest offender. Since I've stopped the oats my numbers are much better.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Diabetic Eating 101, the way many on here do it....

Nothing with sugar or sugar added (e.g., honey, syrups, molasses, cane sugar, beet sugar, etc..)

No grains (e.g...all wheat products, rice, corn of any kind, No Pasta, etc.)

No fruit (some can get away with a few blueberries or strawberries, but not all of us can)

No root crops (e.g. carrots, beets, peanuts, etc. )

No milk of any kind...2% Milk, Skim Milk, half and half, powdered milk, canned milk.... (except Heavy Whipping Cream that contains very little Milk Sugar, you can have that....)

Finally, watch out as most processed foods are loaded with SUGARS....!

I think that covers the basic 101 lists....Ya All jump in and add to my list....I know I missed some.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Diabetic Eating 101, the way many on here do it....

Nothing with sugar or sugar added (e.g., honey, syrups, molasses, cane sugar, beet sugar, etc..)

No grains (e.g...all wheat products, rice, corn of any kind, No Pasta, etc.)

No fruit (some can get away with a few blueberries or strawberries, but not all of us can)

No root crops (e.g. carrots, beets, peanuts, etc. )

No milk of any kind...2% Milk, Skim Milk, half and half, powdered milk, canned milk.... (except Heavy Whipping Cream that contains very little Milk Sugar, you can have that....)

Finally, watch out as most processed foods are loaded with SUGARS....!

I think that covers the basic 101 lists....Ya All jump in and add to my list....I know I missed some.....
Carbs are everywhere , much like sodium, even if very small units. i should check the air i breathe in a lab and see if i detect microscopic traces of carbs when i breathe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dhan

My understanding is that non-alcoholic fatty liver is promoted by high blood sugar levels over a period of time. Many on this forum have reported that after getting good control of their blood sugar (i.e., getting them down consistently to near-normal levels) their fatty liver cleared up.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! But can anybody clarify why that protein snack(before breakfast) almost brought the readings below normal? ie 104 or 120 and lunch say with beef/chicken, the post readings is 120 to 130 post. What is this happening with these protein and fat? Still confused??:sad2:

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Any time you eat it stimulates an insulin response. If what you ate doesn't raise you BG, then you BG goes down. There is also a release of signal to put out a little glucose too. IF the insulin doesn't drop you BG too much and there is not a signal for more glucose to offset it then your BG would be lower. I mentioned earlier that it is a little more complicated, still is.

Last time I ate oatmeal was about 6 years ago. I think my fasting was abut 130 back then and a bowl of instant oatmeal would shoot my BG up to over 250.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I would suggest that you do some systematic testing. The fasting test only tells part of the story - there are other factors at play other than what you ate the night before. What happens after you eat is more important as far as determining how well our body metabolizes carbohydrates.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-treatment/78730-eat-your-meter-testing-method.html is a good way to do this and also gives you meaningful data you can use to make adjustments in what you eat.

I can relate to your wanting to understand what is going on. As mbuster mentioned, metabolism is complex. With diabetics, one or more of the regulating components is not functioning properly. Could be faulty signaling, reduced ability to produce insulin, insulin resistance that blocks the uptake of insulin into the cells - level of anxity, stress, sleep... lots of things. The important takaway here is that, with proper monitoring and adjustments in diet (and meds/insulin when needed), one can successfully manage one's blood sugar levels.

As you read through the posts on the forum, and especially others' intro threads, you'll find that the key to blood sugar management is diet. Reduction of carbohydrate consumption does wonders for us and gets us off the BG roller coaster.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
But can anybody clarify why that protein snack(before breakfast) almost brought the readings below normal? ie 104 or 120
Another factor that impacts morning BG levels is what is called Dawn Phenomenon. If you do a search on this forum for it you'll find many threads discussing it.

Basically, during the waking up process the liver converts some of its glycogen stores into glucose and puts it into the bloodstream. A non-diabetic will have an accompanying burst of insulin to handle the glucose. A non-diabetic may not have any, or very little, insulin response. The result is that the liver continues to put out insulin and BG raises. Some diabetics find that if they eat immediately after waking up that it stops the signaling to the liver and it ceases to put out glucose. For some, this works. For others, not so much. It seems you are one of the lucky ones.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
There is a good resource on ketogenic diet that is chock full of good information - along with sources from which this information comes. Within the site is a discussion on fatty liver, what causes it, and what clears it up. You might find it enlightening.

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/fatty-liver-disease.html

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Carbs are everywhere , much like sodium, even if very small units. i should check the air i breathe in a lab and see if i detect microscopic traces of carbs when i breathe
Yeah, and about the sodium, you will probably need a little MORE.

Reactions: mbuster

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Count carbs and be aware carbs are hiding in many food items you wouldnt suspect. Certain veggies contain carbs, meat, milk, grains, and flour. Fruits like apples and banana's loaded with carbs.
Ain't that the truth! I didn't realize that the packets of chili mix were loaded with flour and all the stuff that makes your BG spike :surprise:.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Ain't that the truth! I didn't realize that the packets of chili mix were loaded with flour and all the stuff that makes your BG spike :surprise:.
Shortly after I was diagnosed, our daughter wanted to cook dinner for us. Full credit to her for wanting to cook something I could eat. :vs-kiss:

But it was quite eye-opening for her to read labels and see how many food items (particularly convenience foods) that she did not expect were loaded with carbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys , now getting the picture clearer. Had fatty liver issue for 3 years . Usually checked my sugar levels back then and it was around 5.3 with fasting around 85 or so. But now my bowel problems and gastro issues worsened now, so went to the doc. Its progressed(fatty liver) to grade2 and so my diabetes into pre .

May be the whole issue started from my liver it seems. I dont know seems this is complicated. Paid the price for a reckless life with carbs, alcohol and junk foods!!!

BTW, chatting with a doctor he told me about metaformine which has liver dump blocking capability. Still he favours for the diet and exercise, me too :smile2:

Any advice's?? seems metaformine is all over the web!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts