The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prediabetic and have failed miserably at trying to keep my blood sugar down because I am a total carb junkie out of control! I’ve gained 16 pounds since November and can’t shake down one single pound. Years ago I took 2000 msg of extended release and lost weight and kept it off for many years even after stopping metformin. I’ve been hearing horror stories about how bad metformin is for you and am scared to get back on it. I’ve heard it called poison, can cause dementia, liver and mental problems. I take celexa “citalapram” and it shows crazy interactions with it. I have tachycardia, high blood pressure, I’ve had a stroke two years ago and it says not to take metformin and I asked my doctor about all this and he said if He was worried He wouldn’t give it to me yet I’m scared to death now to take it. Any advice to ease my nerves 😟

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Every drug ever invented seems to have a laundry list of possible side effects. US law requires drug manufacturers to list every medical condition encountered during drug trials because they don't know if the medication caused the problem (or made it worse). That's regardless of how rarely that side effect appeared -- or whether it had anything to do with the drug in the first place. That's why all those drug ads on TV spend half their time talking about contraindications and side effects.

Metformin has been used to treat Type 2 diabetes for decades. Aside from the gastrointestinal effects some people have when they first start on it, studies have shown it to be pretty benign. Of course, every human body is different and there undoubtedly are people who experienced something serious while taking met. But, for the vast majority of people taking it, metformin has far fewer side effects than most other medications used to manage diabetes.

Please be careful of scare tactics used against any medication -- consider who is delivering the message to you and what profit they may make (if any) from scaring you away from one medication (and, typically, to some other kind of treatment). It's best if you can manage your T2 with exercise and diet and avoid taking any medication. But if you can't, controlling it with metformin is the next step doctors usually take because it's effective and relatively safe.

Reactions: Nemo

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Also, I just checked a few Web sites I trust for accurate drug information and none of them point to any special interaction between citalapram or other SSRIs and metformin. I hope that makes you feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Thank you so much for that in-depth reply! I do feel more reassured to start taking it again starting tomorrow. I was also concerned about about the heart side effects I read on drugs.com because I take a beta blocker it lists tachycardia issues that should not be taken if you have bit I’lldo it anyways. Thank you again!

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
You're welcome! I'm assuming that a doctor (probably your GP) prescribed the metformin; (s)he should have done that knowing what other medications and supplements you're taking and making sure there were no red warning flags for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes he did. But I have all my meds on drugs.com and it gives Lot off reviews and tells what interacts with what so it’s very informative. But I appreciate your help so much more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My endo told me that there are studies that are pointing to the fact that Metformin may also be a cancer preventative/cancer treatment option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My endo told me that there are studies that are pointing to the fact that Metformin may also be a cancer preventative/cancer treatment option.
Well that’s an excellent realtor be on it, cancers run high very high in my family. Thank you for that info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts