The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drank 3 oz of an Atkins shake and just got a 1 hr. reading of 83. First time ever under 100, and just an hour ago I had 142. Should I be concerned about low blood sugar or am I panicking unnecessarily? How low is too low?

G

·

Thanks Shanny. I freaked out and ate some strawberries just in case. A 60-pt drop in just an hour was scary, I don't know how that happened.
how low is too low is different for everyone... you know when you're too low as you don't function properly. My endo has given me a few lectures already about the importance of treating hypos... basically never ignore what your body is telling you. Apparently we're supposed to rest for 30 minutes after a hypo too. You have to respond quickly and use quick acting carbs (aka: high GI carb). Strawberries is a low GI fruit (32 on the GI scale which is low) and it's probably one of the best fruits as far as low carb is concerned. You'd eat the strawberries after quick acting carbs to give you some sustained release energy. So basically always have something with pure sugar in it at the ready... whether that's soda, juice, lollies, etc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how low is too low is different for everyone... you know when you're too low as you don't function properly. My endo has given me a few lectures already about the importance of treating hypos... basically never ignore what your body is telling you. Apparently we're supposed to rest for 30 minutes after a hypo too. You have to respond quickly and use quick acting carbs (aka: high GI carb). Strawberries is a low GI fruit (32 on the GI scale which is low) and it's probably one of the best fruits as far as low carb is concerned. You'd eat the strawberries after quick acting carbs to give you some sustained release energy. So basically always have something with pure sugar in it at the ready... whether that's soda, juice, lollies, etc.

Hi onlymep,

I panicked a little and I didn't want to spike myself too high (I got a 140 from the strawberries) and I don't keep pure sugar in the house anymore - have to buy an emergency coke tomorrow! But I'm wondering how it got so low in the first place - just an hour, it took to drop that low. It's weird...

G

·

Hi onlymep,

I panicked a little and I didn't want to spike myself too high (I got a 140 from the strawberries) and I don't keep pure sugar in the house anymore - have to buy an emergency coke tomorrow! But I'm wondering how it got so low in the first place - just an hour, it took to drop that low. It's weird...
yeah I've noticed that BGLs can drop very quick (like minutes). I always keep lollies and juice in the house...plus carry lollies in my handbag. I've had to use them several times lately... including this morning when I dropped to 3.8 (68). I've figured out I need 5 soft lollies (jelly baby type), or half a glass of juice to raise my BGLs... gotta be careful to not overdo it. I usually get it into the low 5's by doing this when quite low.... but then I look for a low GI carb to eat if I'm not near a meal time within 15 mins.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I've noticed that BGLs can drop very quick (like minutes). I always keep lollies and juice in the house...plus carry lollies in my handbag. I've had to use them several times lately... including this morning when I dropped to 3.8 (68). I've figured out I need 5 soft lollies (jelly baby type), or half a glass of juice to raise my BGLs... gotta be careful to not overdo it. I usually get it into the low 5's by doing this when quite low.... but then I look for a low GI carb to eat if I'm not near a meal time within 15 mins.

Wow, 68 is scary. I was having thoughts that if i went to bed with an 83 I might not wake up, so I strawberried out. I'm glad I posted this because for whatever reason I thought that low blood sugar was mostly a Type 1 problem. I never even thought to carry something sugary with me, but I will do that starting tomorrow!

G

·

Wow, 68 is scary. I was having thoughts that if i went to bed with an 83 I might not wake up, so I strawberried out. I'm glad I posted this because for whatever reason I thought that low blood sugar was mostly a Type 1 problem. I never even thought to carry something sugary with me, but I will do that starting tomorrow!
yeah that's a good idea... carry a quick acting carb & a low acting carb with you at all times. I usually carry lollies and a museli bar as they are easy to carry in handbag. The museli bar is low GI and will help you get through until your next meal if a hypo ever happens to you. I've had it happen to me several times when I'm out... usually whilst shopping... it can get a bit scary.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First thing meters are not 100% accurate. An 83 is a fantastic bg. Usually people treat bgs under 70, but I have been as low as 63 and I have been fine. The really dangerous lows are below 40-50. I forgot what meds are you on? Most type 2's unless they are on inslulin or a sulfyurea drug will not see a lot of lows. The other thing some people especially early in their dx is something called reactive lows. When they eat carbs they spike very quickly and then drop very quickly. The trick is to add some protein or fat with the strawberries so this doesn't happen. By the way 83 is the average bg of a non diabetic.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First thing meters are not 100% accurate. An 83 is a fantastic bg. Usually people treat bgs under 70, but I have been as low as 63 and I have been fine. The really dangerous lows are below 40-50. I forgot what meds are you on? Most type 2's unless they are on inslulin or a sulfyurea drug will not see a lot of lows. The other thing some people especially early in their dx is something called reactive lows. When they eat carbs they spike very quickly and then drop very quickly. The trick is to add some protein or fat with the strawberries so this doesn't happen. By the way 83 is the average bg of a non diabetic.

Hi Jwags,

I think what really scared me is the 60 pt drop in just an hour. That hadn't happened before so I thought something was wrong. Now that I know it's average, I wish I could figure out what I did right and do it again! I'm not on any meds, just diet and exercise until my next dr. visit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dislike any readings in the 80's. I get so weak and shaky so it is the indiviual.

That's how I felt last night, but I wasn't sure if it was LBS or if it was just me being nervous. I'm one of those people who gets a headache and thinks it's a brain tumor. My doctor told me today though that was a good number because it's close to normal.

G

·

That's how I felt last night, but I wasn't sure if it was LBS or if it was just me being nervous. I'm one of those people who gets a headache and thinks it's a brain tumor. My doctor told me today though that was a good number because it's close to normal.
the best thing to do is make sure you know what the symptoms of a hypo are (plenty of this is doc'd on the net). If you're getting the symptoms, never ignore it. I don't believe there is any such thing as a 'false' hypo. My endo also mentioned the same thing to me. The thing you need to consider is that your body needs various amounts of energy at various times of the day and if it's giving you signals when it's low... then you know you're not going to function too well if you don't treat it. I think 'low' is probably different for everyone. Yes, technically they say anything below 4 (72) is too low. With me my endo says that anything below 5 is too low factoring in my height and body weight. But I can be below 5 often and I know I need to get it above 5 as soon as I can to stay safe. It does take a bit of time to work it all out... but basically never ignore it. At least you have the ability to sense when you're too low, which some diabetics don't have that ability. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the best thing to do is make sure you know what the symptoms of a hypo are (plenty of this is doc'd on the net). If you're getting the symptoms, never ignore it. I don't believe there is any such thing as a 'false' hypo. My endo also mentioned the same thing to me. The thing you need to consider is that your body needs various amounts of energy at various times of the day and if it's giving you signals when it's low... then you know you're not going to function too well if you don't treat it. I think 'low' is probably different for everyone. Yes, technically they say anything below 4 (72) is too low. With me my endo says that anything below 5 is too low factoring in my height and body weight. But I can be below 5 often and I know I need to get it above 5 as soon as I can to stay safe. It does take a bit of time to work it all out... but basically never ignore it. At least you have the ability to sense when you're too low, which some diabetics don't have that ability. :D

I just got another reading of 84, but this time I won't panic, I'll just revel in it :D

I try to eat 6 small meals a day, spaced 2 hours apart so that I always have something in my system. I stockpiled my little "diabetes kit" that I'll be carrying with me at all times from now on. For any possible hypos in the future, I bought mini juice boxes. I read that when you get a hypo, you should have something right away that has at least 15g carbs, and the juice box has exactly that amount. Hopefully, I will never have to use it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hit 60 last night and decided to eat a delicious, sweet apple! Brought me up to 93 within half an hour. While I don't like going that low, the apple was a tasty treat instead of the candy, juice or glucose tablets. I have used raisins as well with decent effect.

- Jeremy

G

·
I hit 60 last night and decided to eat a delicious, sweet apple! Brought me up to 93 within half an hour. While I don't like going that low, the apple was a tasty treat instead of the candy, juice or glucose tablets. I have used raisins as well with decent effect.

- Jeremy
yeah whatever works is good... I keep in mind the GI content of the carbs. I had an incident at work where I was actually eating a low GI carb and having a hypo (sitting on 3.7) and feeling rather sick. I had to pull out the quick acting carbs very quick even though I was already eating a wholegrain sandwich and drinking a coffee... they weren't going to bring my BGLs up quick enough. If it's a really sweet apple with lots of juice in it that may work. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah whatever works is good... I keep in mind the GI content of the carbs. I had an incident at work where I was actually eating a low GI carb and having a hypo (sitting on 3.7) and feeling rather sick. I had to pull out the quick acting carbs very quick even though I was already eating a wholegrain sandwich and drinking a coffee... they weren't going to bring my BGLs up quick enough. If it's a really sweet apple with lots of juice in it that may work. :D

My problem with the apple is you never know when the hypo is going to happen and since I can't eat hardly any fruit, I don't buy any. I don't want to waste money on apples that will rot in the fridge unless an emergency occurs.

G

·

My problem with the apple is you never know when the hypo is going to happen and since I can't eat hardly any fruit, I don't buy any. I don't want to waste money on apples that will rot in the fridge unless an emergency occurs.
yeah I know what you mean as I'm also not a big fruit eater at all. That's why I recommended to you earlier at carrying stuff that is more convenient to carry about and may last longer. I tend to treat my lows with lollies mostly as that's what I have with me at all times. If I'm home, I reach for juice if I have it in the fridge as I know liquid absorbs even quicker. But the important thing is to have a low acting carb with you too especially if you're not near a meal time in the next 15 minutes or so. If you eat quick acting carbs, your BGL will spike and then suddenly drop... that's why you need both types of carbs. Eating low GI carb on it's own (as I mentioned above) is not going to work quick enough to get you out of the low... but you need it to give you sustained energy until your next meal.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah I know what you mean as I'm also not a big fruit eater at all. That's why I recommended to you earlier at carrying stuff that is more convenient to carry about and may last longer. I tend to treat my lows with lollies mostly as that's what I have with me at all times. If I'm home, I reach for juice if I have it in the fridge as I know liquid absorbs even quicker. But the important thing is to have a low acting carb with you too especially if you're not near a meal time in the next 15 minutes or so. If you eat quick acting carbs, your BGL will spike and then suddenly drop... that's why you need both types of carbs. Eating low GI carb on it's own (as I mentioned above) is not going to work quick enough to get you out of the low... but you need it to give you sustained energy until your next meal.

What are some examples of low-acting carbs, aside from fruit?

G

·

What are some examples of low-acting carbs, aside from fruit?
low acting carbs are generally your wholegrain cereals, fruit, & nuts... but of course vegies such as corn are low acting too (although not with me for some reason). My endo has always advised me to carry a museli bar at all times... and this is pretty much what I do. So the main ingredient of museli bars is oats which is a low GI cereal. You could also carry a low GI bread/sandwich I guess... but I tried that a couple of times and it just gets squashed in my handbag. Wholegrain crackers would be a good option too (not the processed white stuff). Also nuts is a good option... especially cashews and peanuts... almonds not so good as hardly any carb content in them. I make up my own fruit & nut mix (more nuts than sultanas or whatever) and use really small containers to carry it around. I keep one at work and one at home in easy reach. I have carried it in my handbag before too when I know I'll need a carb snack. So there are a few options if you don't eat fruit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts