The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a baby 8 months ago before my pregnancy my hba1c was perfect and through out my pregnancy my levels were great but in my third trimester i had unstable levels. which the doctor said was normal due to hormones.

so 8 months on my levels are really out of control i just can't get them to stay right. in my pregnancy i gained 20kgs and since the birth i have been trying so hard to loose weight excersizing 1-2 times a day eating right but i have only lost 4kg. in the mornings i have to do triple the amount of insulin for breakfast and usually after this i am still high my body seams to be rejecting the insulin, i also can't afford to go to the doctor
could my body be rejecting the insulin?
can anyone help? :confused:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i had a baby 8 months ago before my pregnancy my hba1c was perfect and through out my pregnancy my levels were great but in my third trimester i had unstable levels. which the doctor said was normal due to hormones.

so 8 months on my levels are really out of control i just can't get them to stay right. in my pregnancy i gained 20kgs and since the birth i have been trying so hard to loose weight excersizing 1-2 times a day eating right but i have only lost 4kg. in the mornings i have to do triple the amount of insulin for breakfast and usually after this i am still high my body seams to be rejecting the insulin, i also can't afford to go to the doctor
could my body be rejecting the insulin?
can anyone help? :confused:
Do I understand correctly that you were diabetic and taking insulin before your pregnancy? If so, you may have developed some insulin resistance during your pregnancy. I am guessing this because of your weight gain, and the fact you are having difficulty losing it. If diet and exercise are not enough...metformin might help. Metformin lowers your insulin resistance and allows your body to use the insulin more efficiently.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What do you call "eating right"

For diabetics its called "a low carb diet"

Most people are very carb sensitive in the AM meaning a 50 Gr carb breakfast will raise there BG more than a 50 gr carb lunch will. So your body needs more insulin for the same carbs in the AM.

It is a balancing act, carbs and insulin, changing one means you need to change the other one.

since your running high BG after breakfast try less carbs for breakfast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we eat alot of asian wich is basicly stock meat and vegies, i usually include atleast one serve of carbohydrate in each meal eg. potatoe, rice. I have carbohydrates for breakfast eg. wheet bix, toast. is that bad? what else could you suggest?
i am currently on levimere and novorapid
novorapid before meals 4-12 units
levi before bed 24 units

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would suggest limiting your carb intake. That should reduce the amount of the insulin requirement. It will also help you lose more weight which should lessen any insulin resistance you have developed. If these measures are not effective, I would ask your doctor if metformin might help you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree with Pam . . . you may have developed some insulin resistance & metformin could help with that. The other thing that will help is cutting out the carbohydrates, especially at breakfast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but if i don't have any carbohydrates there is no need to take my insulin and if i don't take my insulin i will get high? thats why i always have atleast one serve of carbohydrates at meal times (usually low g.i). am i completely wrong?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As I understand it, type 1 diabetics are going to need insulin to cover about anything they eat. But you don't need fast-acting carbs like potatoes, rice or any kind of grain product to maintain the balance. If you restrict these kinds of carbs, you'll need LESS insulin as Pam said, which in turn will mean less weight problems - easier weight loss. But I'm a non-insulin-dependent type 2, and we have several type 1s here who can explain it much better than I.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You dont have to cut your carbs completely out...just reduce the amount you eat. I assume you dose your insulin on an insulin-to-carb ratio. The amount you take depends on how many carbs you eat.

·
Registered
253 Posts
if i don't have any carbohydrates there is no need to take my insulin
You also need to cover protein. It converts to glucose too, just at a slower rate than carbs do. For me it takes the same amount of insulin to cover 10 grams of protein as it does to cover 10 grams of carbs.

The carbs are just faster. They are practically all glucose in 2 hours. Protein takes about 4 hours to complete, but it seems to start converting as quickly as carbs.

Some of the protein is used to repair or rebuild the body, but most of it is used for energy. A calorie is a measure of energy, and protein and carbohydrates both have 4 calories per gram that you eat.

You can process fats or alcohol without insulin, but not protein.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't think you are wrong. Your insulin needs change over time and your pegnancy has made an impact on insulin sensitivity. You may need to start counting carbs and using a insulin to carb ratio for all your meals. Mine is 1:4 for breakfast and dinner and 1:6 for lunch. So if I have a bagel for breakfast that has 50 grams of carb and coffee with milk that has another 10 grams thats would mean that I would need 15 units to cover it.

The other thing that you might need to do is to take your levimere twice a day instead of only once a day. Talk to your Dr. about it and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
but if i don't have any carbohydrates there is no need to take my insulin and if i don't take my insulin i will get high? thats why i always have atleast one serve of carbohydrates at meal times (usually low g.i). am i completely wrong?
If you don't eat any carbs at meal time then you do not need insulin. Just make sure that there are no hidden carbs in the food that you are eating. Become a label reader.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you don't eat any carbs then you do not need insulin. Just make sure that there are no hidden carbs in the food that you are eating. Become a label reader.
Well that couldn't be any farther from the truth if it was on Mars. All type 1 diabetics need to take some type insulin to stay alive even if they don't eat anything. I need 34 units a day just to stay at an even level.

I am now convinced that type 2's should not give insulin advice to type 1's

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well that couldn't be any farther from the truth if it was on Mars. All type 1 diabetics need to take some type insulin to stay alive even if they don't eat anything. I need 34 units a day just to stay at an even level.

I am now convinced that type 2's should not give insulin advice to type 1's
SORRY, THAT I WORDED THAT WRONG AND I DID CHANGE IT. But if you do not eat any carbs at meals then you need no rapid or short acting insulin. T1's need basal insulin and I didn't say they did not need any insulin....give me a break.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
but if i don't have any carbohydrates there is no need to take my insulin (not true, all T1 and a T2 that are NOT making any of there own insulin needs to take insulin) and if i don't take my insulin i will get high? (true, but you dont need to eat s many carbs) thats why i always have atleast one serve of carbohydrates at meal times (usually low g.i). am i completely wrong?
need to make mesage longer to post

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thats not true either you still need to acount for the protein in meat and cheese and all other forms you still need to take insulin for them if that is all you eat you just dont need to take it until about 1 to 2 hours after you eat it.

There isn't anything that doesn't raise your blood glucose if you are type 1. No fruit, no vegetables, no meat, no dairy products. They all raise your blood glucose with out insulin it is just a matter of when.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thats not true either you still need to acount for the protein in meat and cheese and all other forms you still need to take insulin for them if that is all you eat you just dont need to take it until about 1 to 2 hours after you eat it.

There isn't anything that doesn't raise your blood glucose if you are type 1. No fruit, no vegetables, no meat, no dairy products. They all raise your blood glucose with out insulin it is just a matter of when.
Then how do you cover protein? I have never had to take insulin to cover meat or most cheese. And my A1C remains in the 5% range and has for months and I eat my share of protein. Most cheese has no carbs, cottage cheese does contain some, but this where you need to be a good label reader. Please place a link where an expert tells you how to cover protein with insulin.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts