The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
633 Posts
I use a dual wave bolus on my pump to cover it and I use it for almost every meal. A bolus up front to cover the carbs and then a second one pread out over several hours to cover the proteins.

· Registered
2,772 Posts
I use a dual wave bolus on my pump to cover it and I use it for almost every meal. A bolus up front to cover the carbs and then a second one pread out over several hours to cover the proteins.
Then how does a T2 cover protein? Or don't you know?

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Did you mean pread or spread?

· Registered
633 Posts
Did you mean pread or spread?
Yes spread and MDI users can do the same thing buy just taking a second bolus a couple of hours after the first one.

Most type 2 diabetics don't need to worry about thes things because even though there beta cells are not functioning to full capacity they seem to cover proteins just fine. It is all in the timing and since a type 1 doesnt produce any insulin it gets very difficult to predict when you need insulin and how much you need. There is so much more to it than just reducing carbs. Although that does make it easier some times with the timing and insulin to carbs matching.

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Yes spread and MDI users can do the same thing buy just taking a second bolus a couple of hours after the first one.

Most type 2 diabetics don't need to worry about thes things because even though there beta cells are not functioning to full capacity they seem to cover proteins just fine. It is all in the timing and since a type 1 doesnt produce any insulin it gets very difficult to predict when you need insulin and how much you need. There is so much more to it than just reducing carbs. Although that does make it easier some times with the timing and insulin to carbs matching.
I just talked to a nurse at the Central Ohio Diabetes Association and she told me that it is usually not necessary for a T2 to take any insulin to cover protein. The best thing is to test at 2 hours after eating and you need to be below 180 according to the ADA and some doctors want to see your blood sugar under 140/2 hours post meal. As far as T1, I don't know enough to comment, if you claim that a T1 needs insulin to cover protein. so be it. I will avoid giving advice to a T1 in the future. We are an online community for diabetics who seek help and support. I was just trying to be helpful. Maybe at some point we will have a separate section for T1 & T2.

· Registered
633 Posts
Well for me I am probably going to leave all these online so called help sites. All any of them really want to do is tell you what you should eat. I have fought all my life to be able to eat what I want. Don't need this kind of help and you obviously don't want my advise.

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Well for me I am probably going to leave all these online so called help sites. All any of them really want to do is tell you what you should eat. I have fought all my life to be able to eat what I want. Don't need this kind of help and you obviously don't want my advise.
I am sorry that you feel that way. I am just taking your advice, as to not give any advice to a T1. I think that it needs to work both ways. I am only trying to be fair.

· Registered
1,590 Posts

Personally I have found that I rarely really need to cover my protein. The only time I do is if I have eaten a large extremely lo carb meal. The body converts protein to glucose last. it will use the carbo and fat first. I don't usually eat enough protein to give myself that much of a spike. My basal rate usually takes care of it. So, if I am wanting to lessen my insulin requirement, I cut carbs. And yes...I am a T2....but my pancreas no longer produces insulin...so I have the advantage (or disadvantage) of sort of sitting on both sides of the fence here. heheheh good thing I have a big butt! :D

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.