The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was diagnosed T2 last month I was determined to use diet and exercise to keep it under 140 at all times. I was diagnosed early - my A1C was only 5.7 to start. My stated goal was to stay off all medications for as long as possible or forever whichever came first. It seemed like that was the right goal. I've cut carbs to almost none and I'm trying to get the exercise thing going (yeah, right). And it worked - I haven't been over 135 in 4 weeks and fasting is 94-110.

Then I read this: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/718916

Last week I had a Dr. appointment and he suggeseted starting Metformin right away. He agrees with the study that an early start extends the time the Metformin is effective. He feels that regardless of how well you can control BS making your body do it alone makes your body work too hard. And that waiting until you can't control it to start Met makes the Met work too hard but using both working together at the start gives both the chance to work their best and for a longer period of time.

So... based on the study and Doc's advice... I started 500mg Met on Sunday. At 4 days I'm doing fine with it - no digestive upset at all, but I swear it makes me incredibly sleepy in the afternoon.

Anyway, what does everyone think about this - do you think starting Met early is a good thing?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Those are terrific numbers, Vicky. And this article is very interesting. Thanks for the link.

My only experience is immediate metformin monotherapy, and it has done well by me. Because it reduces insulin resistance instead of stimulating increased insulin production, I think it is the one oral medication that helps preserve the pancreas and even rest it. And it also has appetite suppressant properties. I had very few side effects, and what I did have subsided in a few days.

I might feel differently if I were one of the ones who suffer the side effects more acutely or for a prolonged period. But I think met is a great drug in most cases.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Metformin is the gold standard drug for T2 diabetes. Like Shanny says, it will not over work your already overworked pancreas...if anything it gives your pancreas a rest because it lowers your insulin resistance. I have been taking metformin for many years and I can definately tell the difference when I have tried to go off of it.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Met rocks!

Glad to hear youve not had any side effects

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree as well, metformin can cause stomack and intestinal problems. I have been put on it recently, but have not had any problems on the extended release form. Endo had been wanting me to go on Byetta which I refused, and when I mentioned the idea of metformin to reduce insulin resistence, she jumped on it as this will also help me reduce my desire for food and be able to lose the weight I need to lose.

You did not mention which form of metformin you are taking, but if you are not on extended release, and you have problems, consider asking for it. Also, make sure that you take it at mealtime as this normally helps.

Good luck and I hope that you are eventually able to manage with nutrition and exercise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
................Anyway, what does everyone think about this - do you think starting Met early is a good thing?...........
I've just come off metformin altogether after having been on a dose of 2000mg per day for three years.

If it is at all possible to manage without medications then I'm happier being off them altogether - including metformin.

I'm very much happier letting the diet do the job for me in managing my blood glucose levels! After all isn't that the way that the situation was always intended to be?

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I started with 500 mg 4 years ago and now take 2550 in 3 (850) doses. I've never had any stomach problems unless I eat too many carbs and then I feel bloated. I think metformin has lots of additional benefits, including weight loss. I am now at my high school weight in a size 2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts