The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank heaven for Laura Dolson & thank you for bringing it over, Diana! This needs to be plastered in the headlines around the world!

(going back to read the comments now - I bet there are some lulus! ;))

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank heaven for Laura Dolson & thank you for bringing it over, Diana! This needs to be plastered in the headlines around the world!

(going back to read the comments now - I bet there are some lulus! ;))
She's great, isn't she Shanny? We should pass along her url to every new person that comes on here. :)

I just added the link to the ADA page on Facebook. Everyone should go and "like" their page so you can watch to see what their response is (if any since it didn't originate within the organization) http://www.facebook.com/AmericanDiabetesAssociation

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have been using her recipes for several years. Actually today I was thinking of making her donut muffins. They are a favorite in our house and no bg spike. It is exciting about the ADA. Someone on another site though aked the question I wonder what they consider low carb. It is funny I had my car in the shop today waiting for some repairs so I brought my dog earred copy of Dr Bernstein with me and started to re read it. I am picking so much more in certain chapters after several years of diabetes. Maybe now they will stop thinking of him as a Kook. Just think how many more diabetics could now be controlling their bgs with a lot less meds and complications. This definitely is a good thing. Now if they only get off the anti fat bandwagon.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Taubes wrote about it here. Is it my imagination, or does Oz condescend to Taubes? Made some remark about him not being a doctor, like that disqualifies him to lecture on diet? Not sure I approve of Dr. Oz' tactics . . . he's courting ratings, after all . . . truth may suffer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On OZ, I just don't trust him, he is more interested in ratings.

On the topic of ADA changing their strips - don't you believe it. They have allowed for individuals to adapt to the number of carbs in their position statement in 2010, but they are still pushing carbs and this is verified by the Dietitians and Certified Diabetes Educators that will not hear of low carb and still promote 180 gm to 225 gm per day. It is their mantra and they will not back down and when pressed refer to ADA position statement from 2003. Even when shown a printout of the 2010 position statement, they still defend the older statement.

A few are very good and work with what the patient want to do, but most of the older ones won't change.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On OZ, I just don't trust him, he is more interested in ratings.

On the topic of ADA changing their strips - don't you believe it. They have allowed for individuals to adapt to the number of carbs in their position statement in 2010, but they are still pushing carbs and this is verified by the Dietitians and Certified Diabetes Educators that will not hear of low carb and still promote 180 gm to 225 gm per day. It is their mantra and they will not back down and when pressed refer to ADA position statement from 2003. Even when shown a printout of the 2010 position statement, they still defend the older statement.

A few are very good and work with what the patient want to do, but most of the older ones won't change.
My feelings are that they (the Dietitians, etc) are going to put themselves out of job as the internet provides us all with not only more current information, but also the support and experiences of other diabetics. I went to two of the management classes and at first tried following their recommendations, but based on my meter it wasn't even close. After finding this board and realizing that I wasn't the only one who couldn't handle that many carbs (even the ones that are healthy to many people), I quit the classes and started eating in a way that has kept my bs stable. Honestly, their arrogance offends me. The same with doctors who won't consider the possibilities that maybe what they were taught from books and clinical trials sponsored by drug companies, are not the "final answer".

Regarding Dr. Oz, he may be trying for ratings, but at least he's getting these topics on the air. And even if he tried to challenge Gary Taubes' theories, at least he had him on and gave us the opportunity to see his book and open a discussion. I'm surprised that no one has accused Taubes of being paid by the meat industry, but WE know the truth....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another article that tells us that the tides are changing...finally: The last days of the low-fat diet fad | Grist

Last month, Martha Rose Shulman of The New York Times Recipes for Health section, wrote that she's taken the "no low-fat pledge." Shulman writes, "I took a pledge the other day that will surprise my longtime followers. It even surprised me. I pledged to drop the term 'low-fat' from my vocabulary."

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Another article that tells us that the tides are changing...finally: The last days of the low-fat diet fad | Grist

Last month, Martha Rose Shulman of The New York Times Recipes for Health section, wrote that she's taken the "no low-fat pledge." Shulman writes, "I took a pledge the other day that will surprise my longtime followers. It even surprised me. I pledged to drop the term 'low-fat' from my vocabulary."

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many years ago when I first saw Dr Oz, I really liked him and the info he provided. I actually went out and bought his books. But lately he does seem more like an entertainer not a doctor. I was impressed though that he believes in using Coconut Oil in your diet every day. So maybe the anti fat block is cracking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm finishing up a diabetes education class through a local hospital and they are recommending (for men) 45-60g of carbs with EVERY meal. Low Fat/High Carb is the mantra. That's pure insanity if you ask me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm finishing up a diabetes education class through a local hospital and they are recommending (for men) 45-60g of carbs with EVERY meal. Low Fat/High Carb is the mantra. That's pure insanity if you ask me.
I think so too, Gene. Absolute insanity.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Good heavens, the results are in ADA, CARBS ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS! I have insulin to help me out but there are members here and they are on metformin and D&E. LOW CARBS make food livable!!! I like the ADA magazine and that is the only reason that I am member. The carb issue needs to be addressed and incorporated into the ADA eating plan. Perhaps you could add some more members after addressing the carb issue.:amen:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I truly distrust and dislike the ADA... I don't think they really have the diabetic as there main concern. $$$ is there main interest. The ADA has been responsible for a lot of damage to a lot of innocent people including me. I was a member and followed their advice for a long time. I really feel betrayed by this organization which I trusted and supported.

bugg:mad: never again

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I truly distrust and dislike the ADA... I don't think they really have the diabetic as there main concern. $$$ is there main interest. The ADA has been responsible for a lot of damage to a lot of innocent people including me. I was a member and followed their advice for a long time. I really feel betrayed by this organization which I trusted and supported.

bugg:mad: feeling stupid
It is unfortunate that the ADA plays the role of top dog when it comes right down to it. I have been to diabetes self management many places and some and most places still refer to the ADA. I don't know what it will take for the ADA to get on the proper band wagon. Bugg, I am about to place my order from Diabetic Supplies Online | Diabetes Testing Supplies & Products | American Diabetes Wholesale for $100 in strips and meters. I keep theses on hand and I helped out two of our members with strips and meters in the past. It is my way of helping out, I just wish I could afford to do more. I also get a great feeling when I help someone out!:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is unfortunate that the ADA plays the role of top dog when it comes right down to it. I have been to diabetes self management many places and some and most places still refer to the ADA. I don't know what it will take for the ADA to get on the proper band wagon. Bugg, I am about to place my order from Diabetic Supplies Online | Diabetes Testing Supplies & Products | American Diabetes Wholesale for $100 in strips and meters. I keep theses on hand and I helped out two of our members with strips and meters in the past. It is my way of helping out, I just wish I could afford to do more. I also get a great feeling when I help someone out!:)
:amen: You really helped me out, Breeze! You've got a big heart!!:cheer2:

·
Registered
461 Posts
It is unfortunate that the ADA plays the role of top dog when it comes right down to it. I have been to diabetes self management many places and some and most places still refer to the ADA. I don't know what it will take for the ADA to get on the proper band wagon.
Yes I totally agree. So many people have diabetes and no where to get information on what to do. The ADA spends a huge amount of their budget on advertising and public relations. They promote themselves as the experts on diabetes research, diet and treatment. They basically have created a monopoly on diabetic related information. Consequently because of the ADA's perceived position, doctors and hospitals recommend their patients to the ADA for information on diet and other nonmedical treatment advice. Hospitals across the country teach the ADA recommended diet. The ADA membership grows in leaps and bounds through the aid of the medical community including doctors, nurses, hospital dietitians and clinics. When you're suffering from diabetes the ADA is the recommended place to go for information and assistance.

As you know, once you get involved with the ADA they make a concerted effort to get as much contributions from their membership as possible to continue the research for the cure of diabetes. However a large chunk of that money goes to paying for advertisement, fundraising, marketing, public relations and self-promotion, etc. When all is said and done very little goes to research and what does go to research doesn't seem to be making any headway in the cure of diabetes.

I'm bitter about the direction of the ADA especially now that I've learned the information I've been fed by the ADA is in fact incorrect and dangerous for a diabetic like myself to follow. It makes you wonder does the ADA really have any idea what they're doing. How could anyone claiming they are the expert be so wrong with what they are teaching their followers to do to correct the problem that they are the undisputed expert in.

Breez I definitely think you should buy your diabetic supplies from them. It may be the only deal that you get from the ADA.

bugg:(falling of the soap box

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I totally agree. So many people have diabetes and no where to get information on what to do. The ADA spends a huge amount of their budget on advertising and public relations. They promote themselves as the experts on diabetes research, diet and treatment. They basically have created a monopoly on diabetic related information. Consequently because of the ADA's perceived position, doctors and hospitals recommend their patients to the ADA for information on diet and other nonmedical treatment advice. Hospitals across the country teach the ADA recommended diet. The ADA membership grows in leaps and bounds through the aid of the medical community including doctors, nurses, hospital dietitians and clinics. When you're suffering from diabetes the ADA is the recommended place to go for information and assistance.

As you know, once you get involved with the ADA they make a concerted effort to get as much contributions from their membership as possible to continue the research for the cure of diabetes. However a large chunk of that money goes to paying for advertisement, administrative salaries, public relations and self-promotion, etc. When all is said and done very little goes to research and what does go to research doesn't seem to be making any headway in the cure of diabetes.

I'm bitter about the direction of the ADA especially now that I've learned the information I've been fed by the ADA is in fact incorrect and dangerous for a diabetic like myself to follow. It makes you wonder does the ADA really have any idea what they're doing. How could anyone claiming they are the expert be so wrong with what they are teaching their followers to do to correct the problem that they are the undisputed expert in.

Breez I definitely think you should buy your diabetic supplies from them. It may be the only deal that you get from the ADA.

bugg:(falling of the soap box
Very eloquently said! I've got an idea how we might just be able to send them a wakeup call (the ADA). There is a website Change.org Petitions – Online Petitions for Social Change that I've been a member of for awhile now. Anyone can draw up a petition and get it signed by thousands of people who agree with you.

"Change.org is the FREE and easy way to start a petition and make your voice heard by government and business leaders."

I go there all the time to support issues and what is great is to see the results it brings! We have power at our fingertips! Bugg, you're good on that soapbox so if you would start a petition there, we could all sign it and then each of us pass it on to our friends in email and facebook. Every time a person signs your petition (electronically, of course) a copy of it is sent to the email address you designate (in this case, it would be to the ADA---I would suggest to someone "important" if possible instead of a general address, but even if the front desk started getting thousands of emails about the same thing, they would have to take notice)

The internet gives us a voice and power to change things! I've seen big companies bow to these petitions...the latest one I participated in was to get 1-800-FLOWERS to start buying their flowers from Free Trade growers. When you go to the site you can see how many issues are being dealt with. It's free and they lead you through the process step by step. So what do you think?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts