The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Abbott Freestyle Lite meter for about 5 years now. Readings have been a bit odd lately, although it could be the strips. But still, can this meter become less accurate over time? There's nothing to calibrate as far as I can tell.

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
Tracker, I recently had the same question myself (though about a different brand of meter). What I could find is that meters don't have an expiration date as such, but that the batteries do need replacing periodically and that exposure over time to dust, dirt, moisture, and static electricity can mess up what's inside (as it does for pretty much all electronics).

In your situation, I would try a new set of batteries (ones you know are fairly fresh) and see if that doesn't fix the problem. I'm assuming you've already checked that the strips are good?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tracker, I recently had the same question myself (though about a different brand of meter). What I could find is that meters don't have an expiration date as such, but that the batteries do need replacing periodically and that exposure over time to dust, dirt, moisture, and static electricity can mess up what's inside (as it does for pretty much all electronics).

In your situation, I would try a new set of batteries (ones you know are fairly fresh) and see if that doesn't fix the problem. I'm assuming you've already checked that the strips are good?
I'll try new batteries, thanks. I don't think I've changed them since I got the meter! The strips should be good. They're new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used to use the ReliOn meter from Walmart. And I remember calling the company for something and she asked me for the serial number on mine and she said OH, that's 2 years old you need a new one will get that right out to you. So I don't know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to use the ReliOn meter from Walmart. And I remember calling the company for something and she asked me for the serial number on mine and she said OH, that's 2 years old you need a new one will get that right out to you. So I don't know.
That's interesting. I guess if a new batch of strips tells me the same off numbers I'll try a new meter. Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know how old you are but if your Medicare age they advertise that they pay for a new meter. My insurance company paid for mine and they also paid for my strips.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes. Although ReliOn would send a little bottle for free the FreeStyle Lite bottles of solution cost $14 for two of them! So I need to call freestyle and see who pays for that me or the insurance company. The control solution can tell you whether your strips are good or not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Although ReliOn would send a little bottle for free the FreeStyle Lite bottles of solution cost $14 for two of them! So I need to call freestyle and see who pays for that me or the insurance company. The control solution can tell you whether your strips are good or not.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
I do use control solution with my (Agamatrix) meter -- well, occasionally. The problem with control solution is that it's priced like liquid platinum and the bottle is only good a few weeks after opening and using just a few drops. So it's great that it works (it's always come up where it should for my testing) but if you have to buy it out of your own pocket, you might be better off just buying solution when you have an actual problem or ensuring that your meter readings are syncing with tests at the doctor's office. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Nemo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts