Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Is there a number so high that I should go to the hospital?

22K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  CindyLouWho 
#1 ·
My blood sugar reading yesterday was 20.9.
Today it is 15.9.

Am I in danger?

What can I do to lower it?

#2 ·
Yes, you are in danger. Make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible, and eliminate all fast-acting carbohydrates from your diet - all the white foods including rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, and anything else made with grains like corn, wheat, oats, etc. And of course anything made with white flour and/or white sugar. Avoiding these foods will bring it down . . . get to the doc and get some lab tests done, and go from there. If you have a choice, see an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes.

Welcome aboard! :)

#4 ·
Please see a doctor. Those numbers are HIGH and I wouldn't recommend trying to lower blood sugar levels only by means of avoiding certain foods. You might need medication, at least in the beginning. In parallel with medication, you can do diet control, avoiding those foods that cause BG to rise. You can also start doing exercise - even simple exercise like walking has a very beneficial effect not only in lowering blood sugar but also for general health.

Regards,
Rad

#5 ·
Thank you.
Small town and I really don't want to go to a hospital.
I will avoid those foods to try to lower it.
The fact that you are testing yourself tells me you are diabetic and you have known about it for some time or did you just happen to test yourself? Are these levels this way with taking insulin or not?

For you own sake don't make around. Get into the Dr. ASAP before more damage is done. One other thing, is your meter working properly. Again get into the Doctor.

#9 ·
No, I've known about it for almost a year. I didn't finish the two day clinic and only got to the part about having to buy the tester, so I do test myself, but I don't really know what's good or bad or anything. I'm newly on metformin.
Also there are other things happening and some time being diabetic is something I've been avoiding dealing with regularily.

#10 ·
No, I've known about it for almost a year. I didn't finish the two day clinic and only got to the part about having to buy the tester, so I do test myself, but I don't really know what's good or bad or anything. I'm newly on metformin.
Also there are other things happening and some time being diabetic is something I've been avoiding dealing with regularily.

I would also like an answer to your original question
at what BG do I go to the ER 400, 500 600 or when I go into a coma?

as for not knowing what to do,,
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse than eating bowl of sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

#14 ·
I would also like an answer to your original question
at what BG do I go to the ER 400, 500 600 or when I go into a coma?

as for not knowing what to do,,
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse than eating bowl of sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

Original question answer-I would seek emergency treatment if my blood glucose was 500. Reading probably wouldn't register on a meter and 500 is high and I would start to worry.

#6 ·
What could possibly justify not getting medical care when your feet, eyes, kidneys, and heart are at such extreme risk??? You must take care of yourself and do what you know you need to do. Please.

#7 ·
Your 20 point reading is = 360 in the US, I wouldn't go to the hospital for that type of reading, but I take insulin and can correct a high.

See a doctor as soon as possible.

Welcome to the forum!

#15 ·
Type 2's usually still produce insulin so that usually prevents us from going high enough to cause a coma. That being said any bgs over 140 do damage to the nerves in your body. The extra glucose that your body doesn't use for energy gets stuck to the nerves and blood vessels. This glycation then causes neuropathy in the feet and hands, strokes, kidney damage, heart disease, blindness, neuropathy of the stomach, etc. It is important to learn as much as you can about what diabetes is doing to your body. As diabetics we can't eat the same foods that others eat and still keep low bgs. Metformin is usually the first drug tried. With bgs as high as yours it might not be powerful enough to lower bgs to the 100 range. You may want to ask doctor about insulin for awhile to get bgs down. Also limiting carbs to 10-15 per meal should help you lower the bgs somewhat. That means reading every label and basically eating protein, green veggies and fat. Try to avoid bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes, corn, sugar and anything made with flour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.