The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any relatively safe arthritis pain relief that can be used by PWD (persons with diabetes)? My last visit to the GP, he advised me not to use ibuprofen or OTC meds as they can cause liver damage. I'm not interested in narcotic pain relievers, just something I can take occasionally for the stiffness and pain that often accompanies arthritis and aging.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Other than medication have you tried local application of heat.

I realise you may not have been looking for dietary advice but have you considered low-carb/high-fat... especially giving up grains? Perhaps only anecdotal but I am more and more hearing similar from others: while I went low-carb primarily to manage BGs, I have subsequently noted much healthier teeth and gums along with much improved arthritic knees. Overall less inflammation.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Is there any relatively safe arthritis pain relief that can be used by PWD (persons with diabetes)? My last visit to the GP, he advised me not to use ibuprofen or OTC meds as they can cause liver damage. I'm not interested in narcotic pain relievers, just something I can take occasionally for the stiffness and pain that often accompanies arthritis and aging.
Well, if you are a believer in AMA doctors forget it. The only things that work are not owned by Big Pharma so they are ridiculed/ignored/forbidden or made illegal in the USA. You need a renegade doctor who knows about DMSO ( generally available in Heath Food Stores). I also use Magnetic Pulse Therapy but it is too expensive (and usually unavailable) unless you can build your own unit. It is similar to the equipment used in the Bob Beck Protocol where it is used to de-stagnate the lymph system ( but mostly used to cause light fender washers to jump into the air :D ), you can find it on youtube.

I also use Glucosamine, Chondroitin, & MSM.

ColaJim

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than medication have you tried local application of heat.

I realise you may not have been looking for dietary advice but have you considered low-carb/high-fat... especially giving up grains? Perhaps only anecdotal but I am more and more hearing similar from others: while I went low-carb primarily to manage BGs, I have subsequently noted much healthier teeth and gums along with much improved arthritic knees. Overall less inflammation.
In all honesty, I haven't tried local applications of heat except on my lower back area and then I used a heating pad.

I am open to any kind of dietary advice and certainly what has worked for others I am interested in learning about. Low carb I understand but the high fat concept I do not. Can you give me a link or someplace where I can learn about it.

My doctor is obviously going to say low fat or no fat. I am tired of trying to keep up with the latest "medical" recommendations in regard to diets. I've seen a lot of doctors and nurses over the years who are just like me - overweight. So any advise they give me I am going to be suspicious.

Jim - I am going to a larger city next week where there is a wonderful health food store. I will inquire about the DMSO you've mentioned. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As you know... with there only being three macro-nutrients: Carbohydrates, Fats and Proteins, if you cut back on one and wish to remain on the same energy level you need to compensate by raising one or both of the others. I prefer to advocate a real whole food diet, favouring unprocessed and un-packaged foods... the kind that doesn't tend to have nutritional labels or health claims emblazoned on the side of the package (what package?).

I find that naturally this "diet" (what I eat not a short term measure) tends to be lower in Carbohydrates and higher in natural Fats. The "High Fat" is a relative term when compared to the recent decades (only) dogma calling for low fat. It turns out that the lipid hypothesis which basically says "dietary fat makes us fat and causes heart disease" was not founded on scientific research and is increasingly being seen as having caused harm.

As an example of recent research I'd offer this published January 2010 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition : Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease...
Authored by Patty W Siri-Tarino, Qi Sun, Frank B Hu, and Ronald M Krauss
Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.
Notably the list of the study's four authors include one of the world's most prestigious epidemiologists, Frank Hu, professor of nutrition and epidemiology, in Harvard's School of Public Health.

---

So basically I am saying we need to go back to the way our Grand-Parents ate before all this low fat (high refined carb) nonsense came along. Now being those blessed with Diabetes in all its forms, we also have to watch out for foods that are likely to mess with out BGs like starchy root vegetables.

Extending this idea a step further, are those who talk about Paleo or in the case of Kurt G Harris MD, removing the "neolithic agents of disease" which includes wheat/gluten. Here is his Getting Started guide : Archevore - Getting Started

Reactions: Strawberry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Every drug has side effects even my diabetic drugs do. I have arthritis bad in my neck and back, plus i have a disk herniated in two places in my lower back anda pinched nerve as a result, sciatic pain is the norm for me along with a wore out right hip, i've had these conditions for years so i know a little about pain. OTC drugs if abused can lead to liver damage, however if used responsibly can offer relief if needed, i sometimes use ibuprofen, 800mg for my back, if my pain gets excrusiating i have prescription narcotics i use once in a great while . I'm not pushing drugs for pain but neither i'm i antidrug and antidoctor. There are times when all that will work is a pain reliever but i believe that they should only be used when all other measures fail. My first line of defense for the pain my athritis causes me is a hot shower or bath, followed by mild exercise and then go do something to get my mind off the pain.

There is pain that is uncomfortable and then there is pain the makes you feel like hell, that is unbearable, and a whole scale in between. If my pain is just uncomfortable or in the mid range, i never take the drugs, if it's unbearable as to where i'm in agony then i'll take the drugs, but only after all other measures fail. My back and neck cause me pain every day and always will, but the pain doesn't get in the way of making a living or enjoying life.

The abuse of drugs is harmfull but some drugs, alot of people including myself would be dead without the drugs we take for our diabetes or other ailments, so the key is to take them only when you need to.
Mike

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't like to take drugs, but if I know from experience that a certain small or middling pain will grow into a big one, I'll take some Tylenol (acetaminophen) to prevent that. Could save on taking lots more later on.

So far, no spikes with acetaminophen.

Heat's good, too!

Reactions: Strawberry

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My old standby is ibuprofen - usually one 800mg dose works, but if it doesn't, I continue it every eight hours until it DOES work. The thing about ibuprofen is that it is anti-inflammatory, and reducing inflammation is paramount. If I need pain relief, I add one vicodin tabet at bedtime.

The other night my neck was acting up (aggravated C4 disc), I had moderate low back pain & my right hand had ached all afternoon (4th & 5th metacarpals). So when I went to bed, I popped 800 iboprofen & a vicodin (vicodin also contains tylenol), slept like a log & wakened feeling restored.

I sure hope you get the combination & find relief, Strawberry.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't think any occasional Advil, alleve or ibuprophen would hurt. I think the damage comes when you take them on a regular basis. I have the beginnings of arthritis but try to deal with the pain by exercising , especially pilates and yoga. I feel increasing blood circulation really helps me. I also soak in epsom salt in my bath at night if I am really aching.

Reactions: foxl
G

·
Turmeric and ginger is a good cox-ii inhibitor with anti inflammatory property. So a supplement which also has pepper mixed can be tried. Pepper increases bio-availability. However, since no patents can be allowed on such things there's no money for the Big Vampires so no incentive for the Pharma-Doctor nexus ;-)

I am experimenting this on my wife (who has OA) and it has helped quite a bit. Yes no Non Veg diet and a shift towards alkalizing body. There are other things like Devils Claw etc which also helps. At least they don't have side effects.

G

·
Turmeric and ginger is a good cox-ii inhibitor with anti inflammatory property. So a supplement which also has pepper mixed can be tried. Pepper increases bio-availability. However, since no patents can be allowed on such things there's no money for the Big Vampires so no incentive for the Pharma-Doctor nexus ;-)

I am experimenting this on my wife (who has OA) and it has helped quite a bit. Yes no Non Veg diet and a shift towards alkalizing body. There are other things like Devils Claw etc which also helps. At least they don't have side effects.
yeah I've been told by my indian relatives that I should sprinkle tumeric on my hand every morning and lick it.... I thought how strange! I have done it... it has a strong taste. I've been told I should do this as it naturally fights bad bacteria and inflammation in your body. Also I've been told to never eat chicken without coating it first in tumeric... I've actually watched the mum of the family cook and she rubs tumeric into every bit of chicken religiously. It's interesting learning about what other cultures do. I use tumeric a lot more when I cook chicken now and I rub it in as I've been told. lol.

G

·
yeah I've been told by my indian relatives that I should sprinkle tumeric on my hand every morning and lick it.... I thought how strange! I have done it... it has a strong taste. I've been told I should do this as it naturally fights bad bacteria and inflammation in your body. Also I've been told to never eat chicken without coating it first in tumeric... I've actually watched the mum of the family cook and she rubs tumeric into every bit of chicken religiously. It's interesting learning about what other cultures do. I use tumeric a lot more when I cook chicken now and I rub it in as I've been told. lol.
I guess it was in 2004 or thereabouts, there were some 200+ papers published on turmeric and later few patents annulled on turmeric.

Never heard of licking turmeric every morning though :)

G

·
I don't like to take drugs, but if I know from experience that a certain small or middling pain will grow into a big one, I'll take some Tylenol (acetaminophen) to prevent that. Could save on taking lots more later on.

So far, no spikes with acetaminophen.

Heat's good, too!
According to Reuters:

"The scientists followed nearly 65,000 older men and women in Washington State. At the outset, they asked the participants about their use of painkillers over the past ten years and made sure that no one had cancer ... After accounting for things like age, arthritis and a family history of certain blood cancers, chronic acetaminophen users had nearly twice the risk of developing the disease."

Sources:
Journal of Clinical Oncology, May 9, 2011
Reuters May 9, 2011

Regards

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
According to Reuters:

"The scientists followed nearly 65,000 older men and women in Washington State. At the outset, they asked the participants about their use of painkillers over the past ten years and made sure that no one had cancer ... After accounting for things like age, arthritis and a family history of certain blood cancers, chronic acetaminophen users had nearly twice the risk of developing the disease."

Sources:
Journal of Clinical Oncology, May 9, 2011
Reuters May 9, 2011

Regards
Thanks for the info!

For some reason, ibuprofen does nothing for me. Aspirin just makes me sick. I often react weirdly to drugs ... or not at all.

Acetaminophen does work (slowwwwlyyy), but I try to use it sparingly.

·
Registered
460 Posts
... After accounting for things like age, arthritis and a family history of certain blood cancers, chronic acetaminophen users had nearly twice the risk of developing the disease."...
Why were they using acetaminophen so often?

Correlation does not prove causation. :hippie:

Here is an insightful presentation on how to interpret scientific studies...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why were they using acetaminophen so often?

Correlation does not prove causation. :hippie:

Here is an insightful presentation on how to interpret scientific studies...

YouTube - ‪Science For Smart People‬‏
Frank, This was an insightful presentation. My brand new PC started acting strange 30 min into it and I didn't get to finish listening to the speech. I did enjoy it however, the guy is a really good speaker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Naproxen daily. If I don't my knees swell up. Ibuprofen for me is useless. I have over the years tried everything the doctors had on their list. Naproxen gave the best results for me over all. Don't stop all the pain but at least I can bend my knees and other joints. My back has problems that the Naproxen don't help with but neither does the Tramadol, Oxycodone, or Morphine. I electrocute myself alot with a T.E.N.S. unit to stay away from the harder drugs but some days it is not enough. My physical therapist has told me not to use heating pads on my lower back but to use ice packs before and after I do my PT exercises at home. It does seem to help some for a short time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
G

·
these are foods with anti inflammatory properties

and this is a link to foods to balance the acid/alkaline so your body will heal itself...basically the theory is that the body needs more alkaline to deal with any sickness Detailed Listing of Acid / Alkaline Forming Foods

its not for everyone...I guess we all find our own way
My late Nanna was into eating alkaline foods as she had an ulcerated esophagus and the acidic foods used to upset the ulcers for her. My Nan was into reflexology and stuff like that also. As a society we probably do eat too much acidic foods though... it's important to have a balance. Thanks for posting this :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts